The summer is such a happy and fleeting time of year. Even the simplest things take on new meaning when the days are warm and the nights are comfortably cool. The other day, Bryan’s niece came by to meet our foster pup Newton and she was content to simply feed him dog-friendly ice cream on our patio, run around the backyard, and help me pluck mint for our drinks. That’s really what the summer is all about, right?
This year I’m determined to breathe deeply, take detours as needed, and spend some time with large bodies of water. I want to inhale the scents of freshly-mowed grass and send the sounds of belly laughs far into the night; to feel the sun on my shoulders and enjoy late nights outside drinking wine. I need to soak it all in before the pumpkin spiced lattes make their return and fall fills the air. And so, here is a short and sweet list of bucket list items I’d love to cross off before September moves in.
- Spend some time outside each day working on my “garden.” Garden is in quotes because technically I don’t have one, but I now have a greenhouse and so far (knock on wood) everything is still alive. I do foresee a trip to the nursery though for some more flowers and herbs. Any suggestions on what to plant next? So far, I have basil, mint, hydrangeas, and tomatoes
- Enjoy a beach day
- Read all the books
- Fire up the grill. Two nights ago we did and made some “hot dogs” (using carrots—click here for the recipe I used from Educating Earthlings)
- Related: Invite friends over for a BBQ
- Grab my bestie for another adventure. A few weeks ago we went ghost hunting in lower Manhattan—maybe next we do a museum day or a day of eating somewhere (all of our trips are centered around food!)
- See some fireworks
- Concert(s)—outdoors, of course
- Visit the lake! This summer will be our first in our little lake community, and we have all kinds of entertainment to enjoy here during the summer months especially—from concert series and sunset yoga to festival days and food truck festivals
What about you? What would you add to your summer bucket list? Also please join me in wishing Bryan a very happy 40th birthday!!!