Head full of cloudy thoughts

Sometimes you can feel the world shift. A slight change that is heavy and thick, like the molasses in a ginger snap recipe.

That’s a stupid metaphor. Let’s start again.

I was out with Buster last night when I looked up and saw a pretty spectacular cloud formation. Certainly not the best I’d ever seen, but the kind that makes you take note because shit’s about to go down. Or you realize how small you are in the universe and that Mother Nature is a force not to be reckoned with. Maybe it’s the head cold talking or the forecasters predicting doomsday again, but I’m not loving the snow and frigid temps we’ve had in New Jersey lately. It makes me want to stay in and hibernate with Buster underneath my new heated blanket (thanks, Bryan’s mom!).

In related news, I learned a new term this week. Apparently a “bomb cyclone” isn’t a term invented by stoners at the Weather Center. Or is it? Discuss.

Cold weather is conducive for a lot of things though. Deep thinks. Writing sessions. Marathon reading. I started a new book this week and I’m already obsessed and don’t want it to end. It’s called Racing in the Rain and is told from a dog’s perspective. It’s not nearly as hokey as you might think (at least, I thought it might be); it’s a really beautiful, life-affirming story. A bit sad, a lot poignant. Stay tuned for the full review. I feel I’m going to cry my eyes out when it’s all over.

I took the pup out again for a walk this morning. He literally stepped outside, screamed out “NOPE!” and turned back around. My thoughts exactly, Baba.

My current view:

What’s new with you, sweet ones?

Beth January 4, 2018, 11:04 AM

It’s cold here but we’re not getting the snow and other yuck you guys are expecting. But I’m totally in hibernation mode no matter. I just want to stay under blankets until May. It will get better though. One day at a time right? Love you lady!

Karen January 4, 2018, 11:19 AM

I had JUST seen someone use the hashtag #bombcylclone and I was like…what the heck is that???? lol
It’s cold here in FL (Not as cold as you!) & it makes me hibernate so I made myself get up and work out yesterday, then make a healthy pot of soup and it helped. But it’s hard to do when you just want to hide under a blanket.

For What It’s Worth

San January 4, 2018, 12:48 PM

The Art of Racing in the Rain was one of THE BEST books I read in 2017… I never thought I would like it that much and it was a HUGE unexpected surprise.

Also, I’d love to be home reading with a snow storm outside my window right now.

Kim January 4, 2018, 1:03 PM

Oh my cold! That just looks miserable 🙁 . I am going to add this book to my growing list for the new year. If theres a dog, Ill read it LOL . Sending you warm hugs!

lisa thomson January 4, 2018, 1:42 PM

wow, it really is a deep freeze in NJ! It’s been cold here, too although without the snow. Just fog and rain which can cut to the bone. I’m feeling same as far as being a home-body but reading lots. Your book sounds fascinating. I like it when I feel those feels re: Mother nature. I don’t know anything about a bomb cyclone but it sounds scary :/ I will avoid the news…p.s. does Bryan’s mother read your blog?

Sara lago January 4, 2018, 2:18 PM

nothing like clearing the mind

Sheryl January 4, 2018, 3:53 PM

I shivered just looking at your pictures. Yes, I’ve felt the world shift many times and when the clouds move fast it is amazing how it makes me feel. I’m hoping it isn’t going to be a long winter but if it is, we might as well read and have marathon writing sessions.

Shann Eva January 4, 2018, 4:44 PM

That was such a great book!!!!! It totally took me by surprise. It’s in the negative temps over here, so space heater is going with all the blankets.

ShootingStarsMag January 4, 2018, 7:50 PM

Okay, now I’m picturing Buster yelling “NO” and running inside. 🙂 I feel ya though! It’s really cold where I live too – we’ve had like 11 straight days of freezing tempatures. I’m just lucky to not be in the path of the bomb cyclone; yeah, seriously, who invented that? I hope you’re staying safe – and yay for getting some reading in!

Anthea January 5, 2018, 7:05 AM

Wow but that looks cold! So much snow.
You must be loving that heated blanket – what a lovely gift!
I’ve heard about that book and it sounds interesting, glad you are enjoying it.

Trish @ The Trish List January 5, 2018, 9:01 AM

I was glued to the weather channel yesterday watching all the comments about the bomb cyclone. We only got the edge of the storm by me, but enough to bring some snow and a lot of wind! It’s a crazy world out there!

Tamara January 6, 2018, 9:51 PM

Athena has the same reaction to the weather! NOPE.
My local weatherman went off on saying bomb cyclone. He said it wasn’t recognized and we should all say something else.. like bombogenesis. Bombgenesis? You can’t make this stuff up!
Stay warm! It’s going to get better after tonight.

Crystal // Dreams, etc. January 10, 2018, 1:21 AM

Cold weather and snow always makes me introspective. I just want to hibernate and read/write through it all. Stay warm, girl!