Field mice and house hunting

Do you know the story of Frederick the Mouse? Oddly, I don’t think this is the first time I’ve mentioned it here. Essentially, this book (intended for children) focuses on a tiny little field mouse who harvests the sensations of the summer to carry him through the winter. The rays of the sun. The colors of the season. The words to help him through those long, cold nights.

I see myself in this little mouse, sitting in the corner and harnessing energy and emotions. Maybe it’s the time of year. The sun setting so soon in the day will mess with you, I suppose.

Yesterday my best friend and I texted about our house hunting experiences. Though we’re in separate states and thankfully not competing in the same housing market, our stories are incredibly similar. We tell each other things you can really only explain to a friend who GETS you because you are both cut from the same cloth…

Speaking of cloth, I just realized I’m wearing my shirt backwards. Has that ever happened to you? I’m sitting here, scratching my neck, wondering why my gym clothes were strangling me.

She vented to me about her girlfriend while I shared my own real estate Goldilocks stories (you know, where not one of the homes is ever just right).

“Charlotte, she said we couldn’t move into this house—THE PERFECT HOUSE—because she’d fall down the stairs.”

“Kind of like when Bryan said there was no room to put his bikes and I stared at him, like THAT SHOULD NOT BE A FACTOR WHEN PURCHASING A HOME!”

House hunting is an interesting experience, and I have to keep reminding myself—like my best friend is trying to do—that we aren’t simply looking for a house for ourselves. That’s the easy part. Each partner needs to have equal say and all opinions must be weighed, or else the whole thing will fall apart. So, while I don’t have to LIKE Bryan’s reasoning, I need to listen to his needs because I would hate it if he discounted something I said.

In other news, leftover latkes with cinnamon apple sauce is the new breakfast of champions.

You know I always love to hear from you. Please let me know any house hunting experiences you had, or if you too are like Frederick the Mouse, and if you ever wear your clothes inside out not on purpose. Much love and greetings for the season <3

Beth December 20, 2017, 10:38 AM

I’m feeling a bit like Frederick the Mouse too. I love this time of year but I also don’t love it. Such a strange thing. I haven’t had the house hunting experience (we bought Nate’s great aunt’s house) but I have through friends and yeah, I feel you. I know you will find the right house that suits both you and Bryan’s needs! It will happen! XOXO

Nicole December 20, 2017, 10:39 AM

It’s really funny the types of excuses people come up with during this process. Hubs and I plan to take over my parents’ two – family, which has a multitude of slam-dunk advantages. His gripe? He hates the driveway. LOL. So, we have discussions about it, because really, it’s not REALLY about the driveway, or the stairs, or the bike room… I think it’s really about fear, or change, or both. While some of us love a new chapter, and find even the risks exciting, the others are paralyzed by it.

Either way, house hunting is harrowing, and I give you major props for pressing on!

Shann Eva December 20, 2017, 11:45 AM

Ha ha! I often get that choking feeling, and then realize it’s my shirt on backwards. I wish I would have saved up a little more of that sunshine feeling because this time of year and the weather is really getting to me too. I’m sorry you haven’t found the perfect house yet, but it’s out there. Even though it’s hard, it’s best to take your time. Sending you good househunting vibes and some sunshine too. XO

ShootingStarsMag December 20, 2017, 12:22 PM

I’ve definitely put on clothes inside out and/or backwards before. LOL

That’s great you have a friend you can talk about house hunting adventures with. It’s true that you’re finding a home for more than just you so you have to listen to the other person, even if their reasoning sounds off. LOL Maybe the house just doesn’t click with them, but they have to have a reason?

Kimberly December 20, 2017, 1:49 PM

Well I have worn my shirt inside out. I also lost an entire day last week. Like a whole day. I missed my doctor’s appointment because of it. I never miss appointments. Scatter brain I tell you.
I never thought that this place would be our forever home so I didn’t think a whole lot about the nitty gritty details. We just needed a home. But I think we are stuck and I’m ok with it. I couldn’t imagine trying to find somewhere new now. I imagine that it is very stressful. Hang in there kiddo xoxox

lisa thomson December 20, 2017, 1:59 PM

Yes, I’ve been through a house hunting experience and it was when I HAD to get out of my current home. So, no pressure 😛
What I learned from that experience (and seeing about 15 homes in 2 weeks) is to always go with your gut feel on a home. If it feels right but you don’t necessarily like the kitchen (my case), chances are, the whole house will be wonderful. If you love the kitchen but hate the location or the feel in the home, chances are that negative vibe will never go away. So remember to ‘feel’ the house and not just look at it. Hope that makes sense. And yes, I also have worn shirts inside out and backwards. No one told me until I went to change out of them and saw the label on the front…etc. sigh. Latkes for breakfast sounds awesome!

Eve December 20, 2017, 2:27 PM

I don’t think I’ve worn my shirt inside out for any length of time but I can tell you who does almost on a weekly basis…my gf. With observation like hers no wonder she’s worried about falling down the stairs.

Shybiker December 20, 2017, 6:06 PM

Sorry ’bout the shirt. I sometimes put my pants on backwards. Makes it awkward in the Men’s Room.

By coincidence, I’ve been house-hunting too but with different objective. I’m staying at my current residence but am looking for a place to work and play after I give up my law office in a year or two. Commercial space is overly-expensive and I can use a residence instead as my playground since I won’t be meeting anyone there or putting up a sign, just doing whatever the heck amuses me.

Leslie December 20, 2017, 6:20 PM

I can only imagine trying to house hunt during this crazy season, hah. You guys will find the house and make it perfect, together. Happy hunting!

Shannon December 20, 2017, 7:19 PM

I love that little mouse story and I definitely see a lot of myself in him TOO! Hehe… oh boy…Frankie and I have been house hunting on and off for about 2 years (eek, now we’re just getting serious though…) and I will never forget this one that was just WAY different in photos and in real life. the real life version seemed like a run down, musty, house that maybe the kids were trying to sell for their deceased dad ( that was a guess because as we looked around we saw a ton of old scientist books and him in newspaper articles, tons of boxes of what appeared to be a dead man’s stuff…. a little eerie ) .. I’m sure we will have some crazy stories as we go!

Marina @ Parental Journey December 21, 2017, 6:51 AM

I feel like I am little bit too relaxed when it comes to house hunting.. We bought the first apartment we saw 😀 We liked it and that was it.

Penny Struebig December 21, 2017, 7:03 AM

Awe – the adventures of house hunting. I sure don’t miss that! And wearing your shirt backwards – the last time we sat outside the Bluebird for 7 hours waiting to get it I realized about half way through that my shirt was on backwards. Then that was all I could think about!

Karen December 21, 2017, 2:00 PM

“I just realized I’m wearing my shirt backwards. Has that ever happened to you?” Embarrassingly often lol

Winter is the time of year I start coming out of hibernation. Since I’m in FL, the weather is finally cooling down so we can get out more without suffocating from the heat/humidity.

Good luck with your house hunting. That is quite the daunting task that can test any good relationship!

For What It’s Worth

Natalie A December 21, 2017, 2:45 PM

I have found myself wearing my shirt the wrong way a few times! I always wonder to myself how that happened! LOL. My husband is a realtor, so I hear so many house stories all the time. There is no such thing as a perfect house! You can find a flaw in any house. Even a new one. I hope you find the perfect home for yourself! Good luck with house hunting, and I look forward to keeping up with your house hunting and finding “the one” story!

Tamara December 21, 2017, 10:25 PM

I didn’t even know you could have leftover latkes but Scarlet already got Cassidy to promise to make onion-less ones tomorrow night and I’m so excited!!
Also I totally get it with the house hunting.

Catherine Gacad December 22, 2017, 1:17 AM

Where is that photo location? It’s gorgeous!

By the way, with the new tax law, I was lamenting that all of us homeowners might as well be renters!

San January 2, 2018, 5:35 PM

We weren’t looking for a forever home, not even really looking for a home, period, when we came across our house… while it’s not perfect, it had A LOT of things that were on our “priority list”, so the decision was rather easy. But, I can totally see the flipside where house hunting is one of the most difficult things…