It’s been a long time since I’ve revisited books filled with Greek and Roman gods, the ones who taught me so much about history and life and love and debauchery (on a side note, the mischievous gods and goddesses who threw caution to the wind and defied all odds were always my favorites. When I took Greek Mythology in college, that seemed to be a recurring theme).
Yesterday I thought of Janus, the Roman god of beginnings who has the ability to see both the past and the future (he is also the inspiration/namesake for the month of “January”). Personally, I love the idea of looking both forward and backward, especially during a season of transition. And that’s what this month represents for me—a time to hit reset, to rethink my goals, and charge full speed ahead into a new year of possibility… and hope.
Let’s see how we did during the month of December!
- Finish two books (much more attainable, I think! I did, BUT one of those was really, REALLY light reading. Whatever. I’m counting it, lol
- Arrange more playdates, brunches, and dinners with friends I feel as though I saw a lot of my friends last month but it was hectic so maybe not as many as I would have liked
- Pitch one brand a week (through 12/22—because after that, everyone shuts down) Nope. Guilty, definitely adding this to the list for January
- Try a new restaurant in town Did this! I tried The Spot in Montclair one Sunday with Bryan and liked it so much I took my brother and his gf when they were in town
- Increase blog/social traffic steadily I had about 100 more visitors to the blog, so definitely qualifies as slow traffic building… right?
- Contribute to house/vacation fund now that credit card is paid off Accomplished. Didn’t add as much as I would have liked, but I really want to get the finances completely squared away first, especially since I just booked a vacation and have Christmas to pay off
- Eat, drink, and be merry! I did a lot of this 🙂
I have to say, despite the general craziness of the holiday season, I’m pretty proud of my accomplishments last month. I’m really enjoying this exercise of writing my goals down because it’s keeping me accountable and helping me stay on my game. Here are some goals I’d love to accomplish during the month of January:
- Pitch a brand a week
- Go to the gym a minimum of two times/week. This time, I’m setting a concrete goal so I actually schedule it the way I do with other obligations in my life. Also I have cute new workout clothes! That helps 🙂
- Consider the future of my business blog. To be honest, I’ve been thinking of closing up shop–it’s been difficult to run social media accounts for multiple clients and two blogs, but I’m not sure what to do here honestly. Need to sleep on that one.
- Do good. I’ve been thinking a lot about volunteerism and how I miss stops at my local animal shelter, so that’s something I’d really love to focus on this month.
- Start figuring out my tax sh*t. Wheee!
- Sit down with Bryan to discuss our finances/budget over the next few months. This is never an easy topic to approach and our saving styles are different, but with a shared goal in mind (of purchasing a home), I’m confident we can come to an agreement on how exactly to attain that goal.
- Drop off clothing to either the Salvation Army or a homeless shelter. We’ve started the decluttering process—now we just need to sort, organize, and put in donation bins.
What are some of your goals for the month? How do you make sure to attain them? Also HAPPY NEW YEAR!! What did you do to celebrate?