You may have heard about NBC’s hit TV show, This Is Us, now up for three Golden Globe awards. The buzz with this one started early—before it had even aired, there were rumors it would be the next Parenthood. I was prepared with a box of tissues and a large glass of wine the night of the pilot, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
Not only is this TV drama completely captivating, it has SO MUCH heart which is lacking from other shows I’ve seen lately (and no I’m not referring to anything on Bravo, HA!).
Bryan and I just finished the cliffhanger of a midseason finale, and you have until January 10th to catch up (no spoilers below). Here are just a few reasons you should tune in:
- The writing. I’ve always been a sucker for a good storyline, and when you hand me an unexpected twist on the very first night, you’ve made a fan for life.
- The characters. It’s hard for me to find a favorite. My heart aches for Randall. I swoon for Toby. Somehow (though not yet a mom), I completely understand Rebecca, and I just want to envelope Kate in a hug and make her believe in herself. ALL OF THEM. They are all of us.
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia’s chemistry. They are beautiful together, but they are also shining (and refreshing) examples of “learn-as-you-go” parenting. I love their imperfect love story.
- You will go through tissues with each episode. And you know what? Sometimes it feels good to cry it all out.
- The little things. The scenes that are reminiscent of every kid’s childhood, of growing up and thinking independently, and looking up to parents only to realize years later that they had no idea what they were doing.
- It will make you more compassionate when it comes to human suffering. Each character is flawed and yet, there are so many layers behind their pain and it helps us to understand that, in the end, peoples is peoples.
- It will make you think deep thoughts, and it may even spark serious conversation in your home. When young Randall handed the snow globe to the older man, my heart exploded in a million pieces and I was snarfing and hiccuping all over the place like a wounded buffalo and I had tissues lined up on the couch. During commercial break, Bryan asked if I was okay and I answered that I hope our children one day are that thoughtful and kind. This show makes me think about things I might not ordinarily.
Have you seen This Is Us and are you as hooked as I am?