Yesterday I waited at a red light, anxiously gripping the wheel and allowing my GPS to guide me to my dentist appointment. I looked on as families gathered around on curbs to take pictures for the first day of school. I sat behind a big yellow school bus and watched as children embarked on an exciting new adventure. Parents waved from a safe distance. I wondered what they were thinking—were they excited to get a piece of normalcy back or were they putting on a brave face? Were they ready to see their kids off; would they ever be ready?
I haven’t been sleeping much lately. I’m not entirely sure why, but I believe it could be the season. Autumn is always filled with so much promise; a time of year when I tend to come alive with thoughts of pumpkins, apple picking, and new beginnings. As much as I love the summer, the month of September signifies an important transformation—and it makes me want to be my best self.
I have a lot of things I want to accomplish this month, in keeping with the spirit of new beginnings. Here are just some of these goals and I hope by writing them down, I’ll be able to hold myself accountable.
- Pitch to at least 5 brands. I had this marked in my planner last month, but never got around to it. There are so many eco-friendly/sustainable/vegan brands I’d love to work with; now I just have to find them! If you have any recommendations, please send them my way
- Read at least 4 books. I’ve been slacking on my reading lately, but a book a week sounds reasonably feasible
- Stress less. Sounds easy, right? I’ve been taking on a lot of extra work lately and it’s been difficult to say no. I’m so accustomed to working on a freelance basis that I take on everything—and also because it affords a bit of a rainy day cushion (my toofers aren’t going to pay for themselves!). But I have job security now, which I didn’t a year ago, and I have a handle on my finances and budget, which I’ve also never experienced. Time to start saying no
- Be a better friend. I think I do well in this category, but there are always improvements that can be made. For instance, I have a group of friends and we get together about once a month. It’s been a while since we’ve seen each other and I realized that I’m waiting for someone to send an email about it. Why can’t I do the outreach this time?
- Plan a vacation. I’m starting to feel that travel itch again
- Allow whatever will be, to be. God, I struggle with this. Is it my Type A personality? The need to have a glimpse into my future? Why can’t I just que sera, sera?
Do you set monthly goals, and what are some of yours for the month of September?