Reverse bucket list

Good morning, sweet peas! Did everyone have a nice holiday weekend? Are you finding it a bit difficult to zip up the ol’ pants this morning? It’s a sign of a filling and fulfilling holiday weekend, right? 🙂

I’d like to thank Lost Gen Y Girl for inspiring today’s blog post with her wonderful list of 100 lifestyle blog post ideas (if you haven’t checked it out yet, be sure to pin and save!). The idea behind this post is to share some of the coolest things you’ve had the chance to cross off your life’s bucket list. I love the idea behind this, primarily because when I look at my life and all I’ve done and accomplished, it seems full. But, like many, I am plagued by FOMO and am always thinking of all the things I’m missing or haven’t yet accomplished, or done, or visited, or fill in the blank here.

You know what I’m talking about.

We’ve become so obsessed with documenting our journey on social media that we don’t often take the time to reflect on what was and all that has shaped us.

Here are some things on my reverse bucket list:

Study abroad in Heidelberg, Germany

Enjoy a Sachertorte in Austria

Send myself a postcard from Paris to remember and savor the sights, the sounds, the feelings forever

See rows and rows of colorful tulips (as far as the eye can see!) in Holland

Follow Phish, crossing many state lines

Visit Bob Marley’s birthplace and see the inspiration behind Three Little Birds

Venture to the town of Hanalei (where Puff the Magic Dragon is from)

Embrace my inner child at Walt Disney World

Learn to live with roommates, alone, and with a lover (each very different experiences)

Enjoy a very brief sublet on the Lower East Side

Have my first-ever pick-pocketing experience in Rome (maybe it wasn’t my favorite moment in life, but a learning experience nonetheless)

Switch careers and reinvent myself, multiple times

See my idols in concert and line my walls with ticket stubs

Engage in a torrid romance… with a sexy fireman (everyone should have this on their bucket list, wink!)

Experience the worst kind of heartache… only to bounce back (years later) and find love again

Foster multiple dogs and realize my life’s purpose is filled with fur and tail wags

Translate in an international camp in Germany

Go on a ghost hunt

What makes your reverse bucket list?

Courtney A. Casto November 27, 2017, 10:38 AM

Charlotte, I LOVE this idea. I would love to write a post about this. I’ve been consciously trying to look back at my life to capture some of my memories and life lesson’s on my blog. I’ve never thought about a reverse bucket list but it is such a great idea! I’m always looking forward but it is so, so important to remember to look back too.

Beth November 27, 2017, 10:52 AM

I love your reverse bucket list! I did a post like that several years ago, I could probably update it a bit! You have done so much traveling, I am quite envious of that! xoxo

Dani November 27, 2017, 11:31 AM

I did this in September! You’ve traveled so much! I think I’d be a little nervous to visit Bob Marley’s birthplace, but that must have been such a cool experience! Switching careers and reinventing yourself is a big one that is NOT easy to do- awesome that you were able to do so. A little sad I can’t cross the fireman off my list- haha! Loved reading your list!

San November 27, 2017, 11:39 AM

Love, love, love this list… so many things that you have accomplished already (that others definitely haven’t!)

My favorites were “lived with roomates, alone, and with a lover” (never did the living alone thing, sadly, because I thing I would have enjoyed it!), “ate Sachertorte in Austria” (me, too! Vienna to be exact!), and “switch careers and reinvent myself” (because I am too chicken to do that – although I have to say, I like my job, but I think I could be good at other things too!).

Divya November 27, 2017, 1:30 PM

Oh this is such a great, great idea. I usually do a “year in review” post at the end of each year, but given that I only started blogging in 2012, there is a lot more I’ve accomplished! This will be a fun activity to do 🙂

ShootingStarsMag November 27, 2017, 1:41 PM

I love this idea- I need to go check out those blog post ideas! I’m planning to do more personal/lifestyle type of posts in 2018 because I love reading them.

You’ve definitely done and seen a lot of amazing things. A big one mine was visiting London, but also visiting NYC (multiple times), seeing RENT on Broadway in NEW YORK before it closed, seeing all sorts of other musicals where I live like Spring Awakening, driving all the way from Kentucky to New Jersey (very interesting trip haha), going to different book conferences, and so much more.

Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries November 27, 2017, 6:20 PM

Your reverse bucket list sounds like an amazing real bucket list! I’m so impressed, and I love this idea 🙂 I need to make one!

Sheryl November 27, 2017, 7:49 PM

I love this!! I often remind my clients to take a few moments to acknowledge what they have done and what they have accomplished. It is just as important to focus on the items we can check off than look at what we haven’t done.!

Cara November 27, 2017, 10:23 PM

Oh my goodness, you have lived a life and a half! I’ve… completed many degrees that haven’t been nearly as useful as I had hoped. You take away the marriage and kids and ya, I really need to work on myself! Fortunately, I’ve been drafting a non-reverse bucket list to take care of that! Also, I never knew that Hanalei was a real place!?!?

Natalie A November 28, 2017, 1:03 AM

I LOVE your list! It is pretty impressive! I am wanting to be you, and to be able to say I’ve done all those things! 🙂 I need to go check out the 100 lifestyle blog post ideas to give me some blogging ideas!

Anthea November 28, 2017, 5:27 AM

Wow!! This is an amazing list 🙂
You’ve done so much travelling and that is just awesome! I believe that we learn so much about ourselves when travelling.
Switching careers and reinventing yourself must have been hectic at the time – I’d love to hear more about it.
Fostering multiple dogs must be so rewarding – my friend’s Mom did it for years and loved it.
This is such a wonderful idea – I’d like to put my own list together now.

Shannon November 28, 2017, 10:16 AM

This is such a great blog post. Just pinned her other ideas too, so many good ones! Love this idea and it is definitely relevant to the “fomo” we all experience especially with social media!

Katie November 28, 2017, 10:35 AM

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I may have to really reflect and make my own as I often realize a lot of the things I’ve done in my life feel SO long ago that I almost forget they happened, despite how meaningful they were at the time.

Karen November 28, 2017, 12:45 PM

I’ve accomplished more since I turned 40 than at any other time in my life.
There are always more things that I’d like to do but I’m trying to stay in the moment and be thankful for what I already have and have gotten to do.
I think that can be hard with SM. Everyone is looking like they’re living they’re best life while you’re dithering away lol but I think we all feel the same.

For What It’s Worth

Akaleistar November 28, 2017, 2:19 PM

This is such a fun post idea! Seeing tulips in Holland would be amazing 🙂

Lindsay November 29, 2017, 3:06 PM

Holy cow, you have lived such a fulsome life up until this point….but haven’t we all, yet we all have FOMO to some degree?

*sigh* I missed the tulips by a few weeks when I was in Holland years ago. We didn’t spend nearly enough time there so one day I’d love to go back. I just love Europe in general. So different from the pace and life we live in North America.

This is a good exercise and something I want to do as well – I often feel like I’m just cruising one day to the next when in actuality, no, not at all. I’ve done some incredible things and visited some wonderful places.

I need to practice more gratitude and kindness towards myself.

Love you momma. xoxoxoxx

Tamara November 29, 2017, 8:48 PM

I love, love, love a reverse bucket list. Here are some of mine:
1. Saw Bruce Hornsby front row.
2. Met Tim Curry and told him how I felt.
3. Went to Alaska!