November goals

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Or at least, it is if we breathe in deeply and enjoy the ride. I tend to feel overwhelmed by anticipatory anxiety; what that means, is that I stress the shit out of things that are lined up in the near future. Case in point: Tori Amos concert this Wednesday. Don’t get me wrong—I’m unbelievably excited to go and to reconnect with old friends/hear Tori play some new tunes live. But until I’m there in my seat, I’ll freak out. It’s the silliest thing and something I’m constantly working on but it’s also a quirk that I’ve started to accept as a part of my life.

And you know what? I don’t have to like it, but I can make peace with it just the same.

I love the magic of this season. Once Halloween ends, I begin to plan the Thanksgiving menu. Even though I’ve never prepped an entire dinner (let alone hosted!) I like to bring at least one dish wherever I may go.

I feel like this post is getting way off course, because I had intended to write about my goals this month and, somehow, I’m now talking about food again.

N-E-Way…

Let’s take a look back at October (insert Wayne’s World “dee dee doo” sounds and raining fingertips) to see how we did, eh?

Personal

• Read two booksDONE! And I loved both of the books I read (Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper and The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace)
  • 5-minutes of meditation daily (just downloaded the Simple Habit app to help!)That app is a lifesaver, let me tell you. I’m not getting paid to say this, but that five minutes of stillness a day has made a huge difference
  • Gym 2x/week – Big fat NOPE

Financial

• Same as last month–$400 for home; $40 for travelYES! New home/vacation here we come (at some point, ha!)

Professional

• Pitch 1 brand a week and follow up with some previous sponsors – Sadly, no. I was approached by a few brands for sponsored posts, but I need to up my game next month
  • Reach 2,250 bloggers on instagram and get engagement #s up – YES! My engagement seems to be down on insta, BUT I’m now at 2,300+ followers
  • Figure out the elusive work/life balance (last month was very work heavy and I need to bring life into the equation again) – I mean, does anyone have this figured out? Hit me up!

Keeping it simple again this month. And because it’s such a crazy time of year, I’m going to pick three things (and a bonus!) I’d really like to work on.

Personal:
I vow to take time for myself this month—gym when I need, manicures when I want a pampering, reading to feed the brain…. perhaps I’ll even use that massage certificate gifted to me for my birthday in April (yikes, I know!)

Professional:
Take advantage of being in the presence of bloggers by mingling at an event this month. In addition, I’d like to explore ways to share my heart on my blog while also making it a viable source of supplemental income

Social Media:
Traffic doesn’t seem to be coming from Facebook as much as it used to, so while I intend on sharing in all of my favorite groups, I’m going to dedicate a bit more time to figuring out how to maximize Instagram and Pinterest traffic. Ideas? I’m all ears!

BONUS:
I’ll never crack the anxiety spell, but November is a time of year when it can sneak up on me and do some serious damage to my psyche. Less is more. Self-care is important. Laughing, friendships, a cup of warm coffee, doggy snuggles, and long drives to new places—these will be the benchmarks by which I’ll measure my happiness this month.

❤️❤️❤️

Happy November, all 🙂

alexandra November 6, 2017, 10:13 AM

I needed this post today. Also, my son in college. THANK YOU so much for being honest, true, and ready to share bc you never know who is struggling with the same. xo

Anthea November 6, 2017, 10:23 AM

This time of year can be a busy and it is easy to neglect self care. I’m so glad this is on your list!
Less is more – I’ve already said no to a year end function at work and thinking before committing to a festive braai next month. Last year was really hectic and I didn’t enjoy the end November/most of December rush of trying to do everything. There is something about this time of year that makes me forget that I can say no.
Good luck with your goals.
I hope November is a wonderful month for you and that the concert is awesome!

Beth November 6, 2017, 10:39 AM

Oh my god the Waynes World “do dee do” made me laugh SO hard. Too funny. I hear you on excitement anxiety. I get it too. I was all sorts of nervous about meeting my friend on Saturday for the comedy show we saw, but once I was there everything was chill and awesome and we had a great time. I feel you, Tori will be amazing though! And yes to me time when you need it at this busy time of year. I’m trying to focus on that too. Here’s to making it a good November without stress for both of us! XOXO

ShootingStarsMag November 6, 2017, 11:20 AM

Great job on your October goals, and that’s awesome you read two great books. I really want to get and read The Princess Save Herself in This One. I follow the author on Twitter – she’s great. I really need to analyze which social media gives me the most traffic for my blog and really focus on that more. I tend to use Instagram and Twitter the most these days because I have more followers there – I really want to keep growing those!

-lauren

Shann Eva November 6, 2017, 12:51 PM

Agreed about the month of November. I’m already stressing about what’s happening for Thanksgiving. Ugh. More self-care is the way to go. I’m going to look into that meditation app for sure. Nice job with the Insta! Have a fantastic week my dear!

Katie November 6, 2017, 2:48 PM

Congrats on the Insta growth! Mine has definitely not grown int he way I hoped, but I think I need to rethink and rework my strategy come 2018.

Karen November 6, 2017, 3:09 PM

Have a wonderful November!

I’ve been wanting to read The Princess Saves Herself in This One. Glad to hear it was a good one.

My husband has quite a bit of time to take off for the rest of the year so I’m just hoping that we get to do some fun things and maybe get to go somewhere cold (I live in FL) so I can get that Christmas feeling.

For What It’s Worth

Lindsay November 6, 2017, 4:26 PM

OH gosh, I feel you on the gym goal! I really need to get myself back to that AND I gotta get back to blogging more regularly.

Akaleistar November 6, 2017, 7:58 PM

Great job on your goals! A big yes to 5 minute meditation 🙂

San November 7, 2017, 1:06 PM

Oh goodness, work/life balance… it’s always a struggle, isn’t it. I hope you get to take care of yourself this month.

Divya November 7, 2017, 1:23 PM

Simple Habit is a total win. Best $64 I spent on myself this year. 🙂

Dani November 8, 2017, 3:47 PM

I’m with you on focusing on self-care. November is when I start to hibernate more because I hate being cold. (But now it’s called “hygge” and it’s what all the cool kids are doing! Huzzah!) I also always try to bring something to Thanksgiving- usually I make pumpkin pie. I love Jonathan Tropper too! Have a great time at the concert tonight- so fun!

Tamara November 13, 2017, 1:25 PM

November used to be my most stressful time of year. I don’t know if it’s the idea of the holidays, the cold, the lack of light or what! My cousin is a writer and said that going through anxiety in November is like knitting on a bumpy train. You’ll still finish your sweater, but not as easily as in a steady chair!

Lindsay November 13, 2017, 2:49 PM

Hey sweet pea,

You’ve got some great goals ahead of you but all I keep thinking to myself is that I hope you’re being gentle during these really emotional/hormonal days. They’re going to be bumpy but you’ll get through them. <3 I'm always, ALWAYS here for you babe. I may not know what you're going through but I'm a damn good listener. 🙂