A funny thing happened on the way to the weekend

Instead of packing the weekend full of things, I took a page from my own book and stopped to smell the flowers. I (mostly) kept the computer turned off and maybe didn’t cross off enough things from my ever-growing to-do list but we managed to make it to Monday without incident. All is still well(ish) with the world.

There have been so many times in life when I allowed my anxiety to dictate how—and when—I see my friends. This weekend I acknowledged its presence, but I didn’t feed the monster. It made a world of difference.

I drove with the windows open, on one of the most glorious fall afternoons in recent memory, blasting Kesha’s new album (don’t judge, guys. It is so good). I finished a book of poetry (my first in more years than I’d care to admit). We took this little goober to the vet and he is getting much needed relief from allergy season (poor guy).

before the shit storm

:*(

I saw my parents and drank too much wine on the porch with my mom. I watched a painfully unfunny animated special about David S Pumpkins with my parents because we all thought it was a regular episode of Saturday Night Live. I saw my friends and celebrated a new home and pregnancy. I laughed until my face hurt and was glad no one teased me when I explained that I needed to leave before nightfall because I can’t see, like some weird Cinderella with a self-imposed curfew and a Honda-shaped pumpkin.

Bryan and I ordered Indian food and watched Shark Tank because we were too lazy to leave on a rain-soaked Sunday. We took care of our pup and gave him lots of snuggles, attention, and a medicated bath.

It was a good weekend; one I was sad to see end. How was yours, sweet friends?

There are a few hours left to enter my Aflame card game giveaway. Click here and good luck, sweet friends!

Beth October 30, 2017, 10:53 AM

I’m so glad you had such a wonderful weekend my dear! Mine was….well our bathroom is falling apart. So our weekend could have been better. But we have a game plan at least! And no I am not judging, Kesha’s new album is fantastic. I listen to it at least once a week during my work day. Love, love, LOVE. Poor Buster. Give him a kiss for me! XO

Nicole October 30, 2017, 10:57 AM

This weekend was truly lovely thanks to a few swift hours spent with you gals. xoxo

Divya October 30, 2017, 11:43 AM

Seems like a pretty wonderful weekend 🙂 It was freezing over here so we stayed bundled up inside for most of it. Though, I DID go out for a Halloween party. All their pets were dressed up! It was so stinking cute.

Anthea October 30, 2017, 1:00 PM

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend. Sometimes switching off the computer can do wonders for ones mood.
Hope Buster feels better soon!

Katie October 30, 2017, 1:54 PM

I was really sad to see the weekend end as well! It really was a great one. The boy and I had a double date on Friday night (with friends with the exact same names and both of the us girls share the SAME food allergies!), then Saturday the boy and I napped on the couch together because it was a rainy tired day, then we both got some errands done, and Sunday yoga teacher training, then meeting up with the boy for my favorite hot yoga class of the week. No complaints, except that I had to return to the grind today. haha!

Shann Eva October 30, 2017, 2:18 PM

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! Poor Buster! I’m so happy he’s getting some relief now. We played board games and watched a silly kid movie on Saturday night, and then relaxed until Trick or Treat time on Sunday. Our house is now overrun with candy! Hope you have a wonderful week!

San October 30, 2017, 4:08 PM

That’s the way to do it, dear… let the to-do list be the to-do list and do something fun instead. That is also part of adulting!
(We do catch up with chores eventually anyway ;)).

Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries October 30, 2017, 6:11 PM

I need to take a drive like that. This is the perfect time of year for fresh air before we have to be so cooped up for the winter. I also had kind of a free and easy weekend, and I have to admit, it was just what I needed!

ShootingStarsMag October 30, 2017, 7:16 PM

Aw, it sounds like you had a really lovely weekend. Mine was a bit busy, but still full of fun things! I’m not quite as busy this upcoming weekend though so I’m excited about that too. Relaxation is good sometimes!

Lillian October 30, 2017, 9:11 PM

Though never long enough (even that one time that they were basically waiting to close the restaurant down because we were chatting for so long), I love every moment I spend with you ladies!!! 💙💙

Leslie October 31, 2017, 6:44 PM

That does sound like a great weekend, I had an anxious weekend myself and it’s back today but it brought a friend – a migraine that is forming. Aww, poor little guy, I hope he gets better soon. Sometimes ya just need to keep the laptop closed and tackle life. I hope you guys are having a great Halloween!

Akaleistar October 31, 2017, 7:51 PM

Sounds like a good weekend! My cat was having allergy issues early this fall, so he had to get shaved a little, too. Poor little guys.

Shybiker October 31, 2017, 11:23 PM

We made the same mistake about SNL. That bit was indeed “painfully unfunny.”

Tamara November 1, 2017, 11:58 AM

Poor pup! Allergy season used to be once a year. Now it’s twice, right? That’s a thing!
As for David S Pumpkins, I totally saw it on the DVR and thought it was just a regular episode. NOPE.

Lindsay November 1, 2017, 7:10 PM

Good for you girl, we could all stand to do this more often and just enjoy the moment. You look so stinkin happy in that picture with your friends. 🙂
Poor Buster. Hope he’s getting some relief now. <3