How to beat the 7-year itch

This is a sponsored post on behalf of Dear Lady. All opinions are entirely my own.

The seven-year itch afflicts 3 out of 5 couples in the United States.

Actually, I have no idea if that’s accurate but it sounds like it should be. You probably shouldn’t come here for statistically accurate information, just sayin’. Bryan and I are about a year away from this monumentally snooze-worthy milestone and I thought now would be the perfect time to breathe some life into our love lives. Side note: are you expected to do anything to celebrate?? What’s the gift etiquette for seven years of togetherness? A picture frame?

Look, I get it. After several years together, dating your spouse is like trying on those boyfriend jeans you can’t bear to part with—they hug in all the right places, and are worn through in a way that toes the line of being a little unflattering. Dining out segues to takeout; a Game of Thrones bingefest sounds a lot more appealing than dolling up to enjoy cocktails on a rooftop.

The key to happiness in a relationship is a lot easier than we might think—we can never stop having fun with our partners.

Today I’d like to explore a few ways you can spice things up in the love department (as much a reminder for myself as I hope it is for you!).

Go out on proper date nights. Ditch Netflix and chill, put on some clothes (ladies, no yoga pants), and hit the town. Delve a bit deeper and get to know each other in a new way.

Surprise your partner in unexpected ways. Gary Chapman’s book The Five Love Languages really spoke to me, because I learned the importance of finding out and speaking your partner’s love language (quality time, receiving gifts, words of affirmation, etc.).

Bring friends into the mix. Date nights are a lot more fun when you make it a double!

Try something new. Take a cooking class, go to a concert, unlock clues in an escape room (on my list!), or try that new fusion restaurant that opened up down the street.

Spice things up in the bedroom. This one is the most fun, eh? Don’t get stuck in a routine with your partner when there are so many exciting things you could be doing. Dear Lady has a line of sex toys, lingerie, and We-Vibe vibrators to amp up your sex life. 🙂

What are some ways you infuse some fun in your relationship? I’d love to hear from you!

Kimberly September 18, 2017, 10:01 AM

We are hitting our 14 year anniversary and I don’t recall a 7 year itch. We saw a lot of our friends get divorced though — eeeeks.

Beth September 18, 2017, 10:41 AM

We’ve made it over two 7 year itches in a way, the 7th year we were together we got engaged, ha. And our 7th wedding anniversary was I think when I was pregnant, so that wasn’t all bad either I guess! We definitely try to do new things together though and I think that helps.

Kim September 18, 2017, 11:25 AM

OH this! LOL . Seven years into our relationship, I was pregnant and just diagnosed with liver failure and David had just started a new job. Life went nuts that year. The next 7 years were less crazy but here we are. Its not easy, but it so worth it. Last week we were leaving the gym and David said “we should see how much the cooking class is!” 18 years later and he still manages to surprise me!

Shybiker September 18, 2017, 11:34 AM

You’re on to something here, Miss Charlotte. Adding new activities and friends to the mix is a great way to spark interest in one’s partner. It’s always fun to watch how they react to new things and participating in them together is a path to closeness.

ShootingStarsMag September 18, 2017, 2:30 PM

I’m not in a relationship, but I do think the idea of getting out and doing new things is a great idea. It keeps things interesting!

Shann Eva September 18, 2017, 4:32 PM

We made it thru the 7 year itch, and will be celebrating 9 years of marriage this October. Wow. Writing that is pretty crazy. Even though we don’t get to do it as often as we like, we do like to go out and do stuff. We just went to a concert for my birthday, and also out to dinner with a bunch of friends the other night. I really want to read that Love Languages book!

Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries September 18, 2017, 6:20 PM

My marriage lasted 8, so perhaps it succumbed to some of these things. I will say, though, that Chapman’s book is really eye opening. There were definitely things in there that I know I will take with me to my next relationship.

Tamara September 18, 2017, 6:58 PM

Sorry, but this is definitely the best post I’ve read today. And you know I’m not kidding. These things should be talked about. This brand rocks!
It’s a bit tougher with kids to do the date night, but just as important. And the surprise thing is awesome. I love to do something he doesn’t expect. Like cook!

Anthea September 19, 2017, 7:12 AM

Mark and I have been together for 15 years and married for 10. We still have date nights and I think it is important to try new things – a restaurant or weekend getaway – somewhere new is always exciting.
I love giving surprises – they don’t have to be expensive – just thoughtful 🙂
Communication is so essential and should continue no matter how long a couple is together. A big fear of mine is that I’ll take things for granted or stop appreciating random acts of kindness. I make a point of thanking hubby for things that make a difference to my day.

Brooke September 19, 2017, 7:49 AM

Great tips! I definitely do the surprising my spouse in unexpected ways one. Rob values tidiness (which I am not naturally good at), so cleaning a room or two before he gets home makes him so happy! Proper dates do not happen anymore now that we are parents. One day soon….

Trish @ The Trish List September 19, 2017, 8:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I am celebrating my 1st year of marriage next weekend, but we have been together close to 5 years so we are getting close to that 7 year itch of being together. We try to do new things as often as possible, but it’s always a good reminder!

Crystal // Dreams, etc. September 20, 2017, 12:55 AM

I haven’t been in a relationship for anywhere close to seven years before, but I can imagine that after awhile relationships can start to feel a little routine. I always admire the couples who go on regular date nights and make sure that continues to be part of their life. I think it would be so helpful to get out of your comfort zone and just have a great time!

lisa thomson September 22, 2017, 2:54 PM

Great suggestions, Charlotte. We’re at the 11 year mark and there are ebbs and flows but overall a very hot love. Toys are lots of fun to have in the bedroom. *wink* *smile*

San September 29, 2017, 12:09 PM

I was never the type to switch out boyfriends because things got a little less exciting as they were in the beginning, because the truth is… this will happen in EVERY relationship and the excitement of meeting someone new doesn’t make up for the fact that if you found the right person, you won’t ever want to date again. 😉