The starfish story and our newest foster pup!

– Posted in: featured, sponsored post

This is a sponsored post on behalf of Rover.com. All opinions are entirely my own.

The other day I read the story of the starfish over the phone to my mother. She was desperate to console a friend who had recently lost her dog to a long battle with kidney failure, and she couldn’t come up with the right words. If you’re not familiar with the short story, here it is:

(Many thanks to Renne of Forever Joy Designs for the image!)

This story is used frequently to describe the importance of fostering and adopting from overcrowded shelters. The desire to take in all dogs is overwhelming (believe me!) and sometimes it’s heartbreaking because it’s just not possible to save them all. And yet, the idea that we are helping just one animal is what keeps many of us going.

Because it makes a difference to that one.

I’d like to introduce you to a very special senior pet that Bryan and I recently picked up from Liberty Humane Society in Jersey City. Her name is Hannah and she’s approximately an 8-year-old corgi mix from Beaumont, TX. She was taken in from the shelter before Harvey in an effort to keep animals displaced closer to home—so the hope is she can now find her forever home in New Jersey. She has made a complete 180 over the past few days and has really blossomed—she is the cutest little spitfire.

We don’t know much about her history, sadly, but after a short amount of time, we’ve learned the following:

She likes the Real Housewives of OC

Not too crazy about Game of Thrones (or perhaps it’s just the loud booming soundtrack she’s not into)

Likes long walks in the rain

LOVES belly rubs and attention

ears for days

Is maybe a bit attention-hungry, but wouldn’t you be after 3 days in a crowded truck??

Loves the feel of sand on her paws

Does not enjoy bath time

Is partial to cheese and peanut butter

Not reactive to barking dogs but still a bit skittish when it comes to loud, unfamiliar sounds

She had a very successful meet-and-greet over the weekend and we are just waiting to introduce her to a potential sister. If they get along, she may soon have a brand-new and very loving family so keep your paws crossed!

Obviously Hannah is one of the lucky ones, but there are so many animals in Texas and now Florida that desperately need rescuing. I’d like to introduce everyone to a potentially life-saving website for animal lovers that could help in disaster situations.

Rover.com offers services for every dog—from pet sitting and boarding to dog walking and doggie daycare. Now more than ever this is a crucial site that can help when you are hit with the unexpected. Sitters must first be approved by a team of specialists to ensure all pets are in the best hands possible. In addition, you can rest easy with updates throughout the day of your pet. This is clearly a site that has been created by dog lovers, for dog lovers, and I love the care and attention they provide for our beloved babies.

Have you ever used Rover before? Stop by and check out some of their amazing services (they even have a Rover cam!). (Side note: if you EVER have any questions about fostering, I’m always available to help! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me–charlotte@mypixieblog.com!).

Kimberly September 13, 2017, 9:16 AM

What a sweet heart. I love that she loves watching Real Wives – hahah. She loves herself some drama I take it. Don’t we all love watching dumpster fires that aren’t our own. She’d love Champ. He’s a sucker for strolls in the rain. ME, not so much. I’m a complianer in the rain. I was so heartbroken seeing all those poor babes being tied up and left without homes in the storm. Sigh….I wish I could adopt all of them. You’re good people Charlotte. xoxo

Emily September 13, 2017, 11:11 AM

Hannah is adorable. That is so sweet of you to foster a puppy. Thank you for sharing. I’ll have to let some of friends know about Rover.com.

Beth September 13, 2017, 11:28 AM

I love the Starfish Story! It really does go hand in hand with fostering animals. I love Hannah so much, she seems like my kind of pup. I’m not much for rain, but sand sounds good to me! I hope that the home works out for her, but I’m glad she has you in the meantime. You have such a loving warm soul my friend!

Anthea September 13, 2017, 12:05 PM

The starfish story is awesome! Hannah looks so sweet and this is such a lovely post about her. I’m glad she has a wonderful place to stay in before finding her permanent home.

ShootingStarsMag September 13, 2017, 1:14 PM

I feel like I’ve heard the starfish story before, but it’s been awhile – I love it though!! thanks for sharing.

And oh, Hannah! What a cutie. I hope her forever home works and she bonds with her sister. 🙂

You’re doing a great thing by fostering! I wish I could help with some of these animals but my dog is terrified of other animals!

Karen Blue September 13, 2017, 2:29 PM

She is such a cutie! I love her big ears. I hope she and her maybe sister get along. She looks like a fun addition to any family.
My sister brought along 3 dogs when she evacuated to my house hoping to adopt one out while she was here. The two puppies she brought were really cute but after 3 days of having them pee all over my carpet I decided none of them were staying. Puppies are cute, but I would much rather have an older dog that is a bit house broken.
Thanks for sharing Hannah’s story!

Shannon September 13, 2017, 4:11 PM

So charlotte I have to tell you how weird this is- the timing of this post and everything about it. First off- congrats, she is a sweetie! I love corgis! And amazing that you and Brian are making a difference. SO – today, right before i read this post. 2 amazing things happened. 1- we found out our adoption application was accepted for a 3 year old papillon/ chihuahuha mix that we pick up tomorrow!!! 2. I got an email from Rover about a collab as well- so that will be coming soon too! So strange… but alas, it’s a great day 🙂

Crystal Stewart September 13, 2017, 6:18 PM

followed you on bloglovin’ and voted for you too. good post. keep up the good work.

Akaleistar September 13, 2017, 8:56 PM

I love the starfish story, and your new foster dog looks like such a sweetie 🙂

Crystal // Dreams, etc. September 13, 2017, 9:43 PM

She is such a sweetie! I love all the things you’ve learned about her that you’ve shared with us. I always love getting to know different dogs and seeing their personalities. They’re all so unique! I hope her meeting with her potential sister goes well and that she finds her forever home!

lisa thomson September 14, 2017, 1:01 PM

Hi Charlotte, Oh—I love the Starfish story. It’s so true. We can help ONE. Just like you and Bryan are doing now with Hannah. She is so sweet! My daughter has fostered kittens more than once and I asked her if it was hard to let them go. She said no, it wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be because she’s so happy they have found a 4ever home. It must be hard not to become attached though. My paws are crossed for Hannah!

M. K. Clinton September 14, 2017, 1:22 PM

I have never read the starfish story before although I’d heard the main quote many times. I hope Hannah finds a forever home soon. She sounds like a sweetie! My son-in-law is becoming a walker for Rover.com in the Seattle area!

Valentine September 14, 2017, 3:35 PM

Mom & I hadn’t heard of Rover before. Thanks for talling about it. And that starfish story is beautiful! Mom sees herself in that little girl; she would’ve thrown the starfishes back in the ocean too. Mew Mew!

Karen September 14, 2017, 6:03 PM

That’s wonderful that you took her in. Older dogs are still full of love and life.
We got our 10 year old sheltie after a friend passed and he’s the best.

Find your furever home soon Hannah!

For What It’s Worth

GROOVY GOLDENDOODLES September 14, 2017, 7:56 PM

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that story before – thanks so much for sharing!

Lindsay September 14, 2017, 9:46 PM

I just love Gretchen and hope that love is abundant in her forever home just like it is in yours and Bryan’s. 😉

Divya September 15, 2017, 7:51 AM

That starfish story has been my mantra for over 10 years now. Back when I volunteered for a camp as a college student and worked with campers to now when I work with individual students working toward IEP goals.
It’s hard to feel like you’re less than when you aren’t working on a massive scale to change things or fix things. But, that story keeps me grounded and reminds me that all it takes is one.

(P.S. Gretchen is adorable. You guys are amazing souls)

Tamara September 15, 2017, 1:40 PM

I love the starfish story.
When we rescued Athena someone said to us, “You actually rescued TWO dogs. Athena, and another dog to take her place and get adopted.”
Making a difference to one feels great, but I would love to save the world, of course.

Verushka September 17, 2017, 7:44 AM

What a wonderful thing you’re doing Charlotte. Hannah is beautiful — and I hope she’s found her forever home. We have two rescues here, who are still temperamental with each other, never mind someone new. Or maybe we need a new pup to be the peacekeeper. Still figuring it out!

San September 29, 2017, 12:07 PM

I LOVE the starfish story… it is so true, change begins with every single one of us in small and big ways.

Hannah is beautiful. She looks like a really friendly dog!