Perfectly imperfect

Spend any length of time on social media and you’ll begin to develop an inferiority complex. From the bluest ocean waters to the most organized kitchen cabinets and furniture that has nary a dog hair in sight—it is as unbelievable as it is unhealthy to want to attain such levels of perfection.

And yet, many of us try anyway.

The other day, someone said that Bryan and I are perfect together. I found this statement to be utterly hilarious. While I do believe we complement each other in many ways, “perfect” is a word I am fundamentally allergic to.

Also, let’s be real—we have our own share of problems and dirty laundry.

In times of major/minor upheaval, it’s important to reflect on the reasons you have chosen each other to navigate life’s obstacle course. The other day, Bryan closed the blinds when he left for work to make sure the rays of the sun didn’t hurt Buster’s retinas during the eclipse. And yesterday, he left work early in case he needed to carry the pup to the car after surgery (wasn’t necessary after all and Buster is recovering nicely after ear surgery, thank Buddha).

Many of my moments revolve around Buster, I just realized.

“Oh, my god… do you know that 40-day honeymoons are trending right now?” I glanced up from my computer and met Bryan’s eyes. “We’d kill each other,” we both said in unison and laughed. Sometimes we have late-night chats about race, religion, politics. And we sing together—loudly and obnoxiously—to Nirvana’s Unplugged album.

My life isn’t filled with perfect snapshots frozen in time and I’m thankful for that. Because I’ve learned how to poke fun of myself, share embarrassing stories to all who will listen, and laugh at the absurdity of life’s curveballs.

But mostly I recognize that all of the perfectly imperfect moments?

They are a gift.

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the book The Dating Bender going on here!
Good luck, my sweet ones!

Divya August 23, 2017, 10:01 AM

Oh, I love this. I’m reading a book right now, written by a psychologist who has studied marital stability and analyzed relationships through scientific observations. One of the conclusions he’s found time and time again is that a relationship that ends up lasting is seen in some of those minute details. Those tiny things that would otherwise go unnoticed. And that many REALLY successful relationships are not the ones that have a peaceful, harmonious life. In fact, many of the strongest relationships he’s seen are people who may argue or bicker quite often. But it’s just in HOW it’s being done.

It’s a really interesting read. I think you’d enjoy it!

Trish @ The Trish List August 23, 2017, 10:29 AM

I love this! I just commented on someone else’s blog today about sharing the ugly with the good on my blog because I want to look back and know I wasn’t hiding. I wasn’t projecting the perfect life every time I wrote something on my blog. I want people to know I am real and I struggle and even though sometimes things are pretty amazing, the good comes with the bad. I would also kill Rob if we spent 40 days on a honeymoon together.. omg.. lol

Beth August 23, 2017, 10:34 AM

LOVE. I find joy in the imperfections of life. I think it makes us more real. You nailed it girl. Keep doing you. XOXO

San August 23, 2017, 11:39 AM

Haha… that is awesome –> “Sometimes we have late-night chats about race, religion, politics. And we sing together—loudly and obnoxiously—to Nirvana’s Unplugged album.”

Emily August 23, 2017, 12:20 PM

Love this. I think it’s important to embrace the imperfections of life.

Shybiker August 23, 2017, 12:52 PM

Wise words. We need to savor what’s real and not be sad over the illusion of a “perfect” life.

Mia August 23, 2017, 2:03 PM

Perfectly imperfect, I love that. I should get it tattooed somewhere on my body. 🙂 I think perfect only exists in fairy tales. We’re all unique, we all have flaws, we all have strengths and weaknesses. Let’s celebrate them! 🙂 Love this post!

Tamara August 23, 2017, 2:04 PM

I actually read this about an hour ago, but decided to come inside to comment. I love it! I always think that my “messy and all” personality is what draws people to me, if they are drawn to me.
I used to get more envious of friends on social media, until I really took a hard look at the truth. If sometimes I’m only projecting the best, that means other people are too. We are all messy and imperfect.

Kimberly Airhart August 23, 2017, 2:18 PM

Just Lovely! I suffer from feelings of inadequacy, I need to remember to embrace my imperfections.

lisa thomson August 23, 2017, 6:00 PM

YES. This: “But mostly I recognize that all of the perfectly imperfect moments? They are a gift. ”
So true, Charlotte. I just love this post and what makes us beautiful are our imperfections (I believe).

Sheryl August 23, 2017, 8:21 PM

There is nothing perfect about my life and I am ok with that. I just can’t any more… so much energy. I’ve learned to realize that those perfect images often take hours to take and I don’t have time for that anymore, life is short and I plan on enjoying it. XOXO

Akaleistar August 23, 2017, 8:56 PM

I overuse the word perfect, but I am very much against social media’s push to create the perfect life. Nothing in life is perfect, and it’s those imperfect moments that make life interesting 🙂

Courtney A. Casto August 23, 2017, 11:31 PM

This is a reassuring post for me because my life is full of imperfect moments! I’ve gotten better at comparing myself to others, especially to their social media posts. I’m trying to consciously practice gratitude and I will remember to be grateful for the imperfect moments in my life.

ShootingStarsMag August 24, 2017, 9:42 AM

Love it! Nobody is perfect – and definitely not relationships. But who wants perfect? It really is in the little things – and knowing each other well.

Anthea August 25, 2017, 8:08 AM

Love this! Nobody is perfect and pretending to be must take so much energy!
Perfectly imperfect moments are a gift we should enjoy every day 🙂

Melissa Sperka August 25, 2017, 6:25 PM

So well said, Charlotte. My work (not my life) revolves around SM and I’m well aware of the juxtaposition pictures often have with real life. Yet, still there are moments I compare my day to those laughing and chasing butterflies with perfect hair blowing in the wind (Instead of in their eyes as mine would do) sipping wine and enjoying the sunshine without a care in the world. If only life was that perfect. I’ll take the imperfect moments as therein lies the path to the lessons we need to learn to be truly happy. Like wearing your hair in a ponytail to keep it out of your eyes on a windy day. xoxo