A walk down memory lane

Last night I met my best friend in Hoboken. We rode the path train together into the city and chatted about all the things under the sun. Life. Dating. Food. Travel. Tattoos. Our only item on the itinerary was to revisit Dojo, a staple of our youth (famous for their carrot ginger dressing which is TO DIE FOR, if you ever find yourself in the West Village). We both ordered the same dish—the Soy Burger—though she had hers with bacon like a weirdo and I had mine with rice.

I wanted it be just as I remembered—and it was, though some things have certainly changed. The peanut noodles that we used to order as an appetizer are no longer on the menu and the hearty side of thick potatoes have been replaced with brown rice. Also, the prices have gone up slightly because NYC businesses can’t possibly stay open while serving a $6 main entree, right?

But the nostalgia was still there, in every bite of that breaded burger and tangy dipping sauce.

After dinner, we got lost on our way to the Christopher Street path station. Neither of us seemed to mind much. The night was perfect—the moon a beautiful pizza pie that shimmered across the buildings. We found our way to Rocco’s and ate cannolis on a park bench. By the time we ventured back to Hoboken, my feet had all but given out but I had a full belly and a happy head of memories—both past and present.

I thought about the date I went on with a man who led me on a wild goose chase to find the only good Italian restaurant in lower Manhattan. That time my friend nearly burned down a hookah bar on Bleecker. Or the infamous night that I dragged aforementioned bestie to a shoe store in Manhattan because my feet were killing me and I inexplicably purchased a pair of wooden mother fucking clogs (huh?!). The many late nights and countless slices of post-booze pizza.

Two nights ago, I noticed a long white gray hair as I peered at my reflection in the steamed bathroom mirror.

Though it wasn’t clear to me at the time, I know now that it’s a symbol of a youth well spent… and a small lifetime of happy memories.

Trish @ The Trish List August 9, 2017, 11:14 AM

This sounds lovely! I love walking down memory lane with a good friend! Also that burger looks delish! Glad you got to spend some time with a dear friend living in the moment.

lisa thomson August 9, 2017, 11:37 AM

Ah, our youth and the crazy memories. So sweet, this post. Special to have those friends in our lives who “remember when…” Can’t beat a full moon shimmering on the city. Makes me want to go to NYC!

Crystal // Dreams, etc. August 9, 2017, 2:04 PM

This is lovely! It’s always nice to spend time with old friends and revisit places/memories from the past. I loved reading about some of your memories!

StephTheBookworm August 9, 2017, 2:38 PM

Oh I so love this! Nostalgia is a killer. I love it but it also makes me sad sometimes too. Sounds like you had some fun times and man oh man, do I love NYC.

Beth August 9, 2017, 2:47 PM

I love nostalgic feelings like that and being able to experience good memories in the present as well! I’m glad you had a good time with your bestie.

ShootingStarsMag August 9, 2017, 7:48 PM

So true! You’re full of memories – and happily living your life – and that’s the main thing. I love looking back on things I’ve done and the people I still surround myself with.

Akaleistar August 9, 2017, 9:11 PM

Happy memories are always good to revisit 🙂

Leslie August 9, 2017, 10:04 PM

That buger looks delicious! I am glad you had fun. It can be so soothing to travel down those roads to places once forgotten about in our youth. I found a gray hair too and i am embracing it instead of dreading it.

Tamara August 10, 2017, 12:22 PM

I have white hair too. Not a gray to speak of! So I won’t be able to hide that..
Also, I love this trip down memory lane. I’ve had similar ones down those same lanes, even!

Kimberly Airhart August 10, 2017, 4:11 PM

I love memory lane. I need to visit it soon because I too found a gray hair the other day. Hey, I will be 40 in 9 months. I think it’s going to be a tough one.

Lynn August 10, 2017, 5:28 PM

It sounded like a good time. I have a bunch of gray hairs. You have a much better outlook about yours than I do about mine lol.

Sheryl August 10, 2017, 9:23 PM

This post makes me smile for so many reasons. I’ve been in that spot as you were, revisiting with friends and recognizing how wonderful the memories and moments were. It is those small moments that you have mentioned here that are some of the most precious memories. XOXO

Shannon August 10, 2017, 10:12 PM

Sounds like an awesome time. Nostalgia can be such a great feeling! And it sounds like you ladies definitely had some great times to re-live. I love that dog statue too. 🙂

Anthea August 11, 2017, 1:58 AM

Lovely post – sounds like you’ve made some wonderful memories over the years and visiting memory lane can be so much fun!
That burger looks amazing!

Doreen August 14, 2017, 11:57 AM

Great post. Loved your stories. As a native New Yorker, I can relate. It’s always fun walking down memory lane. I pinned your post! 🙂

San August 14, 2017, 1:41 PM

time with friends is the most precious! So happy to spend that time with yours!