Best dates for summer (that won’t break the bank!)

– Posted in: dating, sponsored post

This post is sponsored by NoStringsDating. All opinions are entirely my own.

This October marks six years that Bryan and I have been together. Holy smokes, that’s a long time! I’m not sure that I have any relationship advice to offer that you don’t already know, but one thing I have learned is that it’s important to keep that spark alive—to challenge each other, to have fun whenever possible, to engage, and laugh, and have sexy times that don’t involve poking your partner in the eye by mistake, preferably.

The summer is my favorite time of year and I thought I’d devote today’s blog post to some fun ways you can still date your spouse, even if you’ve been together for a million and one years.

Have a picnic in the park. I used to do this one a lot when I was dating in Hoboken, because there are some beautiful scenic green spaces along the river. I would fix a basket, throw in a bottle of chilled wine, some fruits, and voila! Romance under the stars.

Volunteer at a local shelter. This is one of my favorites because it’s actually how Bryan and I really fell in love. He knew about my love of dogs, and I learned about his love of pit bulls specifically, and we used to go and walk and talk and take our favorites home to foster.

Sorry about poor image quality, but Buster looks happy to be stuck with us, dontcha’ think?

Get in the car and drive. Sometimes the best dates are the spontaneous ones where you blast old school rap with the windows down. Go where the wind takes you, or spend the day antiquing/window shopping and talking about life and love.

Go to an arcade. Bryan and I have about $20 in coins to use up at Barcade—yes, you guessed correctly. A bar with every 80s arcade game imaginable. We haven’t been back in ages, but the last time we went we pounded drinks and played Qbert and Frogger and had an amazing date together.

Hit up a vineyard! I love wine tasting, but if your mate isn’t big on wine, there are so many other tasting events like whiskey, vodka, beer, etc. Just make sure to call an Uber 😉

What are some of your favorite adult dating activities? Let me know in the comments!

San June 12, 2017, 12:02 PM

Love the ideas! We love to just go out for coffee and walk + talk, hiking, and dinners (obviously).

Melissa June 12, 2017, 12:35 PM

Great ideas Charlotte! I totally agree laid back picnics and drives are the epitome of fun in my mind. And a drive to a vineyard? Epic.

Jessica Bradshaw June 12, 2017, 1:16 PM

So fun! These are such great ideas! I agree, you can never stop dating. It keeps the fun, love, and excitement going.

We love to go to karaoke, have a game night, go for walk, make our own pizza night, or play disc golf.

Eli@CoachDaddy June 12, 2017, 1:25 PM

Gardening classes can be cool, or maybe an improve class. I’m with you on the picnics and the wine tastings! Day baseball rocks, if you’re both into that kind of thing.

Emily June 12, 2017, 3:06 PM

Awesome ideas! A picnic in the park, going to an arcade, and just driving around sounds like so much fun!

Lindsay June 12, 2017, 3:06 PM

Great ideas! I love rapping to music in the car with my man!

StephTheBookworm June 12, 2017, 3:10 PM

Oh my gosh… yessss… Buster is so cute and happy! Love the idea of volunteering at the shelter. If you meet someone there, you will already know they’re an animal lover which is an automatic win.

lisa thomson June 12, 2017, 4:03 PM

Awww, this is so sweet, Charlotte! I love the picnic idea. I’m always game for that. WE just got back from wine tasting. He doesn’t taste but he’s my driver. Usually there’s a resident dog that he visits with while I taste. I find when we go on road trips we just talk about random stuff and we love to stop in and peruse antique places. It’s actually really good for bonding. Love all of your suggestions here! p.s the pics of you and Bryan are adorable!!

ShootingStarsMag June 12, 2017, 9:37 PM

That last photo is too cute – and omg!! Buster’s happy little face.

Yes to all of these ideas though. I love that you two fell in love over your love of helping out and dogs. 🙂

Rachel G June 13, 2017, 12:18 AM

We need to find more fun things to do around where we live now! We used to regularly do picnics at the park–there are still parks here but the tropical sun is a bit too brutal to make sitting outside very comfortable, haha! And we loved arcades in the US but our local arcade is just terrible–half the games don’t work and the ones that do are mostly zombie stuff…not really my taste in games. 😛 We definitely need to find new traditions and new fun things to do together!

Tamara June 13, 2017, 7:34 PM

Haha! Eye poking during sexy time. I giggled.
I love summer and fall dates best! Don’t tell lame winter and spring!

Lindsay June 14, 2017, 4:29 PM

That family photo of the three of you is just precious. And the second picture: I never realized just how blue Bryan’s eyes are until this picture. 🙂