5 things to do in Jefferson, Texas

what to do in Jefferson Texas

If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you may know that my best friend and I have an odd fascination with the paranormal. We like to travel wherever the ghosts are and have had a lot of adventures over the years, like this one. Sadly, we also experienced this (also known as the “The Haunted House that Ate Our Money.”) Regardless, when she mentioned a ghost town in the middle of nowhere and about an hour from the nearest airport, naturally I was on board.

The historic town of Jefferson, TX, located in Marion County in northeastern Texas, is home to a mere 2,200 residents. You get that small-town feeling and Southern hospitality everywhere you go, and the entire city seems veiled in nostalgia. There’s a general store with root beer floats, old-fashioned barbers, and wildly decorated saloons. It’s funky and charming and well worth a visit.

this is my best friend. she indulges me when I ask her to pose as pie or yogurt or whatever the eff this is supposed to be

Here are some things to do while you’re there!

Eat. I have to be honest, when I started planning my trip to Texas, I thought I’d be shit out of luck where veggie options are concerned (because cow country, right?). I was pleasantly surprised, however, by how flavorful, fresh, and unique each dish was, especially the cornbread, salad, and pecan pie at Kitt’s Kornbread. Austin Street Bistro deserves a mention as well for their veggie sandwich. Still dreaming about it.

chocolate pecan pie

strawberry spinach saladGo on a ghost tour. Duh. We did this on our first full night, after we’d had some sleep, and learned a lot about local history and the fascinating story of Diamond Bessie, a prostitute murdered in 1877 by her lover.

Tour some of the homes. I wish we had the chance to go inside, but seemed many things were closed on the Sunday we wanted to look around. We did however find some ornate and opulent homes while we drove around, singing along to hits of the 80s.

Visit the Oakwood cemetery. Okay, so maybe not for everyone, but I’ve always loved cemeteries and this one was pretty and filled with historical markers (as well as the grave of Diamond Bessie). It was about a thousand degrees when we went and we didn’t find her grave, sadly.

oakwood cemeteryAntiquing. We must have spent hours each day going through dusty racks and bins. I nearly picked up that adorable suitcase in the first pic (I want to add legs and make it a table) as well as a Glowarm lamp from the 80s (‘member those??) for $8.

antique store Jefferson TX

Things to avoid:
The entire state during the months of June -August from what we’re told. I can’t even imagine more humidity than what we experienced but apparently hell hath no fury like a Texas summer and let me tell you, there are simply not enough hair styling products to tame the frizz.

I think this is the worst photo of us ever taken. Like how my hair refuses to cooperate?

The gun duel that takes place outside the general store. A bit too hokey for my taste but one of the shooters was a looker, so there was that.

Have you ever been to Jefferson? Let me know in the comments!

Kim Airhart May 24, 2017, 10:51 AM

Love this! I hope you had a great time. I love cemeteries too.

Glamamom May 24, 2017, 10:58 AM

How cute and quaint! Looks like a wonderful trip. And no, I’ve never been. You’re giving me wanderlust tho!

Leslie May 24, 2017, 12:14 PM

What a cool place! I am going to add it to my travel bucket list. The ghost tour looks awesome, my boyfriend would love it.

Julke May 24, 2017, 1:05 PM

Your trip looks so fun!!! I can’t say I’m a big fan of the ghost stuff (I’m typically out for anything remotely scary) but the rest of the trip looks awesome!! Glad you had fun!

Beth May 24, 2017, 1:53 PM

This sounds like a lot of fun! I love all the pictures of the houses, they’re all so pretty looking! I love going on an annual trip with my bestie as well, it’s nice to get away every now and then!

San May 24, 2017, 1:55 PM

Love the architecture!

ShootingStarsMag May 24, 2017, 3:10 PM

I have not been there, but I’ve been to Texas. It’s been many years though. Oh gosh, my hair would be a mess and I’m sure I’d be dripping with sweat – that last picture isn’t bad at all!!

I’m glad you all had a fun time though. That ghost tour sounds awesome – I went on one in Nashville before and it was so much fun!

And ooh root beer floats. I love those!

Lauren

lisa thomson May 24, 2017, 8:37 PM

A gun duel? I would love to see that. This sounds like a wonderful get away, Charlotte! Love the pic of you two. You could pass for sisters 🙂 Was the hotel haunted 😀

Sheryl May 24, 2017, 9:25 PM

I am loving the photos of the houses. I’ve not done any paranormal tours but I do enjoy cemeteries. My Nanny and I used to walk around looking at the old markers and talking about who was buried etc. As for hot weather, I’m the rare one who thrives with heat and humidity – but I do understand about the hair.

Dominique May 24, 2017, 9:35 PM

Sound like such a fun girls trip!! I’m loving the looks of some of that food too!!

Divya May 25, 2017, 11:04 AM

I definitely just drooled a little bit looking at that cake. I don’t know what you’re talking about! You look beautiful in that selfie 🙂 Hair and all!

Lindsay May 25, 2017, 4:33 PM

Sounds like fun and a good time was had. Would you go back or nah, you’ve been there and done that now?

Your friend looks like a riot. 🙂 The curly-hair duo.

Anthea May 26, 2017, 5:41 AM

Sounds like you had fun! Lovely pictures 🙂

Tamara May 26, 2017, 9:37 PM

That Route 66 sign! I have to have it! We live on Route 66 (although not the historic one) and Des obsessed with Pixar’s Cars.. so.. we collect signs.
Love this.
I’d love to hear more about the paranormal stuff you’ve seen!

Agness of Fit Travelling May 28, 2017, 4:54 PM

Texas really seems like an amazing destination! I am adding it to my bucket list thanks to your motivational post!

Karen Peterson June 4, 2017, 11:38 PM

What a cute little town! It kind of looks like a Texan version of Savannah, Georgia.

Davina June 29, 2017, 9:43 AM

Haven’t been to Texas, at least i have the heads up on what to do know.