A letter

When was the last time you sat down to write a letter? One that made your mind race and your fingers ache? I don’t know about you, but my hand can’t ever handle the frantic pace of the words that jumble together in my mind. And sometimes my mind moves on to an entirely different thought completely and I’m left trying to piece together the last sentence in a way that makes sense.

But there’s beauty in that, isn’t there?

And, like so many other things in this world, it’s a dying art.

I owed my best friend money for a trip we are taking this week. Rather than simply stuff a check in an envelope, I thought I’d write her a card. It’s not a gesture I do very often (heck, I can’t even get it together in time to send out Christmas cards) but I believe it was one that was appreciated. Maybe it even gave her a good chuckle.

This morning as I lightly stretched and woke up my muscles, one thought kept nagging at me. I knew that I had to sit and craft a letter to the homeowners of the house that Bryan and I fell in love with. Perhaps it won’t get us anywhere (it probably won’t, truthfully), but it can’t hurt either, right? And so I sat down and I wrote about how we wouldn’t change a thing because we want to honor the home and the care the previous owners gave it. I detailed the morning coffee I’d love to enjoy overlooking the lake, the dock where I’d meditate, and how we’d warm up on winter nights with our dog by the fireplace.

I don’t have much. But I do have my words, and if it can help me land the home of my dreams, then I’ll at least try.

When was the last time you sat down to write a letter?

Beth May 17, 2017, 12:34 PM

There really is something to be said for the personal touch of a letter! I just sent my bestie a card last week because I know she’s struggling with something right now. I could have just texted or emailed or even FB’d my support to her, but I wanted to take the extra step of writing something. She appreciated it which made it all worth while. I hope the homeowners read your letter with the love it’s written with and consider your offer!

Divya May 17, 2017, 12:48 PM

Oh gosh, I honestly can’t remember. I write cards a lot. But I haven’t written a letter “just because.” There’s always an occasion.
But, lately, as I’m discovering more and more of my grandfather’s writing, it makes me want to write letters to everyone I love.

Kim May 17, 2017, 1:10 PM

I sincerely hope that they letter helps. Sounds like a great house! I wrote a letter to Anthony for his birthday if that counts. I usually post it on my blog, but hes getting older and said he would rather I write it and give it to him 🙂 Hope your week has been good so far!

Kimberly May 17, 2017, 1:11 PM

I connected with a blogger from the Netherlands and she was diagnosed with an illness and is struggling with it. I just mailed her one. We send each other cards every now and then. It’s so wonderful getting snail mail with actual handwriting!
I hope that that your words sweeten the deal my friend
xo

Eli@CoachDaddy May 17, 2017, 1:23 PM

You have a letter coming soon from me! I’ve struggled with the second person on my list: My mom. Long story, but I’m going to come back to her later, and I’ve moved on to my girls … and you’re not far behind!

Julie May 17, 2017, 4:24 PM

I love the idea of a handwritten letter…I haven’t written one in ages. Giving me some inspiration!! I truly hope the house works out for you…sounds like a wonderful opportunity:)

Sheryl May 17, 2017, 9:04 PM

There is something about a handwritten letter or card. I’ve been thinking I need to write a few myself and your post has inspired me to move it up on the To DO list. I’m hoping that your letter does help in the house buying process. You never know until you try.

ShootingStarsMag May 17, 2017, 9:10 PM

I love hand written letters. I have a friend who lives in NY and we always send each other letters and cards. I need to do it more often though. I recently sent an Easter card to a friend who recently moved to Vermont, and I miss him a lot, so it was great to do – and get a postcard back!

I love that you wrote a letter to the homeowners. That’s really sweet.

Dominique May 17, 2017, 9:18 PM

I don’t write letters very often, but I wrote a fairly long note in a Mother’s Day card to my Mum… does that count??

I really hope you get the house you’ve been dreaming of! x

Lindsay May 18, 2017, 4:28 PM

Hey babes,
I definitely don’t write letters enough but do enjoy writing out cards and what not for people. It’s such a lost art but such a sincere gesture. I don’t think you need to write a five page letter to convey how much you love their home and what it would mean to you if you lived there. You kept it simple, too the point but sentimental.

I hope it all works out hun. 🙂
xoxoxo

Akaleistar May 18, 2017, 9:37 PM

I write a couple of letters a month, and it always makes me happy to scribble my thoughts on a pretty card and send them off to a friend 🙂

Tamara May 19, 2017, 11:46 AM

YES. YES. I have used letters to do many things in my life. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Mostly, it does.
It’s how I’ve gotten jobs, how I got into my dream college (true story), how I once got a boyfriend back, and how we change the world – little by little. I recently wrote about writing a letter to my fourth grade teacher and how she called me at home that night.

San May 24, 2017, 1:55 PM

I used to have a ton of pen pals when I was younger… blogging has somewhat replaced this when I got older… but I still love getting (and sending) letters with regular mail!