A letter to remember the past

A special thank you to my dear blog friend Eli for providing the inspiration for today’s blog post. Much love to you, my bloggy brother.

***

Dear Charlotte,

Do you remember that time you mailed yourself a postcard from Montmartre in Paris? It was a beautiful spring day, much like the one you’re enjoying in New York right now, and you were listening to the sounds of street musicians and drinking in the infectious beat of a city you loved to get lost in. You just sat your ass down in that dew-kissed lawn and scribbled to yourself—because you never wanted to forget. It seemed so ridiculous at the time, but nearly six years later, that postcard remains one of your prized possessions.

Today I’m writing another letter to fill in some more blanks, because as you know, you have a horrible memory. It’s funny sometimes, like when someone asks what you did over the weekend on a Monday and you honestly can’t remember worth a damn. Not so funny when you can’t recall the important stuff—the meat that makes life worth living. Not really meat, because you’re a vegetarian, but you know.

Do you remember that time in high school when you wanted to pass a note to your bestie but you accidentally threw it in an overhead arch and it managed to land right in front of the teacher?

Or when you shouted “Meatstick” right before Phish played it in Camden and you jumped up and down for what felt like ages and you were so happy to be alive?

Do you remember kissing in the rain?

Or what about the time you and your roommate drunkenly schlepped a couch to your porch and you rang the doorbell in the middle of a party?

Do you remember the dog that forever changed your feelings and made you instantly fall in love?

And how your brother’s girlfriend convinced you to ride all of the roller coasters at Disney and you didn’t piss yourself once?

Do you remember that first date with Bryan and how relieved you were that normal men existed after a string of horrific dates? Like the guy who wrote about beating up women and gave you the book to review for your blog? Let’s pretend that man never existed.

Do you remember the night this pic was taken? So many moons ago; you both look like babies here.

How about the first time someone asked you to dance?

And how scared you were to publish your first blog post?

Not a fond memory but do you remember riding in a car with a complete stranger in Heidelberg and how your roomie yelled at you for at least thirty minutes when you got home? God, you did some stupid things in your youth (no offense).

Do you ever think about boarding that flight–all by yourself!–at just 7 years of age, to see your relatives in Germany?

Do you remember going to see the show Love in Vegas and how it was unlike anything you had ever seen before?

What are some moments in life you’d like to remember (or forget, as the case may be)? 🙂

Rachel G April 19, 2017, 9:15 AM

I also tend to have a pretty bad memory for the events of my own life…that’s one of my biggest motivations for writing so regularly! Without the writing, I’m scared I’d forget these precious memories of the good and the bad and the odd.

ShootingStarsMag April 19, 2017, 10:29 AM

I love this idea. I need to recap my life more on the blog because it’s a great memory tool, and I can go back and read it whenever I want! I love that you sent yourself a postcard from Paris. I should have done that in London; ah well, next time I go overseas then.

Carol April 19, 2017, 11:13 AM

What a wonderful idea! I used to do a lot of scrapbooking when my son was younger so this may just be its replacement.

Jessica Bradshaw April 19, 2017, 11:21 AM

Such a cute idea! I always want to ask myself to remember the hard times and how I thought it was impossible to overcome- like in HS when I found out I had messed up kidneys and had to have several surgeries, or 3 years ago when my appendix ruptured just a few weeks after I got run over. Now, I am more fearless and stronger than ever. In those moments I felt crushed and defeated.

Trish @ The Trish List April 19, 2017, 11:36 AM

This is so beautiful Charlotte! It is so important to remember everything whether it is good or bad. It helps build out character and helps us to be the person we are meant to be today. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are such an amazing person!

Kim Airhart April 19, 2017, 1:27 PM

Writers block LIFTED!! Love this post. I might have to use this idea.
Your memories are pretty awesome. Thank you for sharing them.

Shann Eva April 19, 2017, 1:35 PM

Such a cool post idea. My memory seems to be getting worse and worse lately. I love that you wrote yourself that postcard. We were actually watching old videos of the boys the other day, and I hardly remember when they were such little babies. Where does the time go?

Emily April 19, 2017, 2:10 PM

This is such a good idea. I may have to use this idea too. That is so cool that you wrote yourself a postcard.

Kimberly April 19, 2017, 2:16 PM

Oh Jaysus you got in a plane all by yourself and went to Germany?
I would have had a stroke.
I remember passing notes in class. And getting caught. Do they still do that?
Sometimes my kid asks me questions about my childhood and I worry that I’ll forget bits like these…I should write them down.
Very cool post my dear. xoxo

Beth April 19, 2017, 2:30 PM

Oh how I love this! There are so many of those life moments that are so amazing or funny or bittersweet and in that moment I go “I will remember this forever” but as you get older sometimes you do forget. I might have to do a post like this sometime just to recall some of those moments. I totally remember passing notes in class by the way. And one time a teacher intercepted one of them. Yikes. 🙂

Sheryl April 19, 2017, 9:01 PM

There are so many things I remember I have both the fortune and misfortune to Denver everything!! Love this post as we do push some things away.

Dominique April 19, 2017, 10:12 PM

Oh wow, what a cool way to do a post. I feel like I just got a mass flashback across your life (and I’m not even the one who lived it, but I felt like I was there!!). Not to worry about the silly stuff.. we’ve all been there when we were young, haven’t we??

Anthea April 20, 2017, 3:16 AM

Stunning post! Seriously inspired to do something similar. Time goes too quickly and we need a reminder that what we are doing now is making memories for tomorrow.

Shybiker April 20, 2017, 7:31 AM

Aww… so nice.

Tamara April 20, 2017, 3:29 PM

That’s like when I was at a Lilith Fair and I yelled, “Play I’ll Stand By You” when The Pretenders were playing, and they did! They couldn’t have heard me in my terrible seats, but the rest of my concert mates in my section high-fived me.
Oh, to be alive sometimes!

Lindsay April 20, 2017, 5:30 PM

My memory is terrible, yours is pretty impressive.
I LOVE the hound and the picture of you and B. <3

Dean April 20, 2017, 7:12 PM

Ummm so I’m in love with this and I may have to borrow this.
I love that you sent yourself a postcard from Paris to remember the moment. I wish I would’ve thought to do that on the different adventures I’ve been on.

My youngest daughter made a PowerPoint about herself, which my oldest daughter thought was kind of weird. That was until I told both of the girls that it was so awesome! Because when their older they’ll remember their younger self. It’s really no different from all the journals my oldest daughter has. 🙂 And the ones I wish I still had from my youth.

Have you heard of those Listography books? My daughter has a few of them. 🙂
XOXO

Akaleistar April 20, 2017, 8:02 PM

Love this post!

lisa thomson April 21, 2017, 6:18 PM

I love this letter, Charlotte. It brought tears to my eyes. My memory is not as good as it was,say 10 years ago. I definitely did some stupid things in my youth and my not so youth. I love the doorbell ringing in the middle of a party. LOL. The postcard you sent to yourself is awesome!! I will do that next time I’m somewhere exotic.