Scattered thoughts from a scattered mind

On Easter Sunday, I watched children consume large amounts of sugar. They became bouncing balls of energy while I could barely move after four cookies and a bunny ear. At what age does our internal sugar switch start to malfunction?

In a few weeks, my best friend and I will be flying to a random town in Texas, where we’ll stay in a haunted hotel. I’m equal parts excited and nervous. Only my bestie could schlep me 1,400 miles away to stay in a room where it’s reported that hands caress you while you sleep.

When I sit down to write the average blog post, I Google a wide variety of random shit, like “distance from Montclair, NJ to Bumblefuck, Texas.” Or “cool best friend tattoos that aren’t peanut butter and jelly sandwiches” because that idea was already nixed. Here’s one I’m seriously considering:

I wish I knew how to play the ukulele or the washboard.

I spend too much time reading comments online and sometimes they make my blood boil, but every now and then I come across a gem like this one (about the giraffe that recently gave birth): “Oh, don’t mind me. I just have two hooves coming out of my hooha.”

I have this reoccurring nightmare that I am enrolled in a college but I keep sleeping through all of my classes. As someone who used to receive perfect attendance awards, I can’t think of anything more terrifying than waking up at the end of a semester and realizing I’ve missed every class.

While we’re on the subject of school, I’m watching the show 13 Reasons Why and it’s basically made me never want to have teenagers. Don’t get me wrong—I want children—heaps of them!—but I’m not sure what to do with them when they turn 13. This topic is open for suggestions.

When someone asks me what I’ve been listening to, I try to come up with impressive answers that run the musical gamut—from reggae to funk and from folk to indie—but really when I’m sitting in my car, I’m probably blasting Kesha from the dollar sign years or the Swedish hip hop/swing band the Movits. Check them out here—doesn’t this make you want to get up and boogie!?

What are some of your scattered thoughts? Are they anything like mine? XOXO and make it a great week, party people!

Trish @ The Trish List April 17, 2017, 8:54 AM

Scattered thoughts are the best! That tattoo is pretty great. I love it. I am so glad April FINALLY had her baby. The park is only an hour from my house so you better bet I’m going to visit her when they open! Also 13 Reasons Why really freaks me out too. Is this really how life is as a teenager? I can’t even imagine. I don’t feel like it was like that when I was a teenager, or maybe I just never noticed. But agreed. No idea what to do with a teenager!

Nicole April 17, 2017, 9:21 AM

I do the same thing about the comments, and I often wonder why people get so fired up about trivial things?

I wonder what it costs to live in a loft?

How much is a flight to Montana?

What would happen if I actually stayed in bed for 24 straight hours?

How many albums did the BeeGees put out?

Things have been a little weird in my head lately. LOL!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada April 17, 2017, 9:45 AM

I like your scattered thoughts! My kids were two of those wired-on-sugar-bouncing-boys 😉 The amount fo candy we got was ridiculous, rivaled Halloween. It’s almost all chocolate too!!!
I’m jealous and also intrigued about the haunted hotel stay. Yikes!!! I’ve always wanted to do that but don’t know if I could be brave enough. I’ve had a few ghostly encounters that terrified me, don’t know if I want to do that ever again!!! Can’t wait to hear about it when you get back!!!

Kim Airhart April 17, 2017, 10:15 AM

Jake was super happy that I let him have 2 pieces of candy in the morning and then 2 in the afternoon. He thought I was the greatest Mom. Other kids would have been like WHAT?? Only 4 pieces on Easter? I love your scattered thoughts! I get distracted easily. Oh look, something shiny.

Brian K April 17, 2017, 10:18 AM

Love scattered thoughts, brain vomits are the best

– I really wish I wasn’t so closed off to learning new languages when I was younger, trying to catch up on Japanese feels like its harder than it has to be

– No matter how many times I tell myself I have gotten used to winter, even at times liking winter, the first day of nice, 75+ degree weather still makes me giddy like a child that summer is coming

– I feel I am punishing myself too much when I subscribe to so many random TripAdvisor flight alerts, some of the deals I find are insane.

Beth April 17, 2017, 10:35 AM

I love random thought posts!! And I am so with you on fearing the teenage years. My three year old might be frustrating at times, but Lord help me when he’s 13 and not 3! I’m excited to hear more about your big trip!

Kim April 17, 2017, 12:10 PM

I love everything about this post. Mostly because it’s good to know Im not the only one. My mind is a wanderer for sure and I think about the most random things ever. That zebra comment almost made me spit out my smoothie! The boys had way too much candy. Bed time came a little early for them last night, but it was needed. Im one year away from a 13 year old and Im not sure how I will survive. Im quite afraid! Have a great week XOXO

Dean April 17, 2017, 12:39 PM

I think that’s a pretty dope tattoo. 🙂
I have two ukuleles and I still cannot play them very well. 🙁 It’s still a goal though. 🙂
I’ve been wanting to watch 13 Reasons Why. I have a teenager, so maybe not….

San April 17, 2017, 1:48 PM

A night in a haunted house? No way Jose would you ever get me to do that! I can’t hear about your experience though 😉 (I live vicariously through other people when it comes to thrill seeking!).

Also: that tattoo is kinda awesome.

Jessica Bradshaw April 17, 2017, 2:49 PM

I love this post! FIrst, I hope you come back to Texas and don’t judge it by the one experience. haha. Dallas is so fun! I am excited to hear about your experience though. 13 reasons why will wreck you. It’s so good though. I think every parent of a teenager needs to watch it with them and talk about it for sure.
Love the plane tattoo idea! So cute!

Lecy | A Simpler Grace April 17, 2017, 4:41 PM

“Cool best friend tattoos that aren’t peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.” LOL! I would not have the guts to sleep in a haunted hotel. I have an overactive imagination and very vivid nightmares, so I would probably have a coronary. Hope you have fun!

lisa thomson April 17, 2017, 5:02 PM

I don’t know when my thoughts are not scattered. I love scattered posts. The rambling ones like this one. When kids turn 13—it’s kind of a d r a g. However, when your own kids turn 13, it’s not so bad! You still see the baby in them lol.

As for B.F. tattoos? I like the airplane!! So cute. This will be an interesting trip, Charlotte. I know you’ll share with us all the details.

Shybiker April 17, 2017, 7:19 PM

You’re so funny. I love listening to your mind think. You’re entertaining — and free! Maybe you should send us a bill every now and then.

Crystal // Dreams, etc. April 17, 2017, 8:35 PM

I love scattered posts. 🙂 Like I said on Insta, I love that tattoo! And the placement. Too bad the PB & J idea was nixed. Also, that hotel sounds really cool! I hope you share more about it.

13 Reasons Why! That show is so amazing… not quite as amazing as the book (but the book is one of my faves), but very good. Not sure what to do about wha to do with kids when they become teenagers. Maybe pass them off on aunts and uncles? My niece is such a helpful teen… but I don’t know if she’s quite as agreeable and helpful with her parents as she is with me. 😁

ShootingStarsMag April 17, 2017, 8:56 PM

I love this! I’m watching 13 Reasons Why but I’m not too far in yet. I LOVED the book, and I suggest you read it if you haven’t already. Anyway, it’s definitely a scary topic and some teens really are just…awful. It’s scary – it makes me think of the song “Teenagers” by My Chemical Romance.

Ooh I like the plane idea for a tattoo. I’m so curious to hear about your Texas trip to a haunted hotel.

Dominique April 17, 2017, 11:27 PM

Love your scattered thoughts. I keep hearing about 13 reasons why but I’m not sure if it’s one to watch with hubby or just leave to watch on my own? I work with teens a lot and honestly… they’re generally pretty good 😉 I do love that song “teenagers” too tho that Lauren mentioned in her comment hehehe. Hope your trip to the haunted hotel isn’t too scary… they kinda stuff just freaks me right out. I look forward to hearing all about it. Hope you have a great week! 🙂

Anthea April 18, 2017, 4:32 AM

Love posts like these. Often it feels like my mind is on loads of topics all at once and it is comforting to know others feel the same!
The haunted hotel sounds awesome – I hope you’ll post about it 🙂

Akaleistar April 18, 2017, 5:46 PM

I wish I knew how to play the ukulele, too, or the harp or the violin. I really wish I was more musical, but I’d never make time to practice.

texerinsydney April 19, 2017, 2:38 AM

Posts sharing random thoughts are truly some of my favorite posts to read and share!
Tell me more about where you are going in Texas! Or do I need to wait for your blog post after the fact? After all, I’m originally from TX and am intrigued…

Tamara April 19, 2017, 10:31 AM

Up until recently, I still had nightmares that I had finals for a bunch of classes I can’t really remember attending or studying for.
I had some closure in my last one! We’ll see if anymore happen.
If it helps you to hear, my parents raised five teenagers. All seven of us are still alive, somehow.

Dani April 19, 2017, 3:35 PM

I was considering getting a matching/complimentary tattoo recently as well, and I found this list: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/matching-tattoo-ideas?utm_term=.fq94x88O3#.gb3n3qqyV

My personal favorites are the light sabers and the last one on that list. I like your airplane idea too! Still so crazy that you’re going to that haunted hotel!

Lianne April 21, 2017, 12:08 PM

It’s probably better if I keep my scattered thoughts inside my head lol! My little boy spent Sunday refusing to eat any real food but requesting chocolate approximately every 15 minutes ha ha
Lianne | Makes, Bakes and Decor