And the award for awkward Phish show couple goes to…

– Posted in: on writing/blogging, other

One of my jobs as both a blogger and social media specialist is to be in the know at all times—to investigate the latest and greatest with ears open and eyes peeled. What makes my job infinitely easier is when a storyline falls in my lap or I happen to overhear a conversation that makes for interesting blog fodder.

Which brings me, of course, to today’s topic, which came about as a result of unintentional eavesdropping in Penn Station on a Saturday night.

Bryan and I were waiting to order coffees at Dunkin Donuts on our way back home from a recent Phish show (sadly, one of the downsides to living in the ‘burbs means that our carriage turns into a pumpkin much earlier than we would like). A couple behind us was engaged in a very heated conversation. Apparently the girl was pissed that her boyfriend had gotten so drunk he never made it into the Phish show in the first place and she spent the night wandering the streets of NYC and trying to convince every cop in earshot that they HAD TO HELP HER FIND HIM! Because SHE HAS LAWYERS! And you know, because city cops have nothing better to do but to chase after a drunken boyfriend on a Saturday night.

Once Bryan and I grabbed our coffees and took leave, I turned to him and told him I wasn’t sure who to feel more sorry for: the girl who had to chase her boyfriend all over the city or the guy who essentially had his ass handed to him in a Dunkin in Penn Station.

In the end, I sided with the boyfriend.

I’m not entirely sure what the lawyers had to do with anything either, but there was a very collective and audible throat-clearing and shoe shuffling going on the moment she dropped the “L” bomb, because it appeared she was ready to sue New York’s finest and well, if you’re in the middle of midtown lamenting about how your guy ruined your birthday, you’re not going to get much sympathy (to put it mildly).

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but it wasn’t that long ago that I myself was chasing this great band across America and well, either I’m getting old (GAH!) or the crowd going to these shows is getting increasingly younger.

Discuss.

Do you ever eavesdrop unintentionally (or intentionally) when you hear lovers quarrel?

Kim Miller January 7, 2014, 2:07 PM

If you are in a public place, conversations are fair game. We have had some of our most entertaining times eavesdropping actually… I know….I’m so bad!
Kim Miller´s last blog post ..I Am A Top Mommy

lisa thomson January 7, 2014, 2:09 PM

Eavesdropping on a couple fighting is irresistible! This is too funny.

I used the word ‘fodder’ in my last post (about gossip). I looked up the word before publishing just to check and make sure I was using it correctly. Fodder is actually ‘cow or horse feed’ LOL. So, it is appropriate the way we’ve used the word :)
lisa thomson´s last blog post ..Gossip Defense

TaMara January 7, 2014, 4:17 PM

I’m a terrible eavesdropper. Actually I am a terrible person because I am actually very good at eavesdropping. LOL There have been times that I’ve been out to dinner and started laughing because of something said in the conversation at the table next to me.
TaMara´s last blog post ..Baby, It’s Cold Outside!

Elizabeth January 7, 2014, 4:31 PM

I’m terrible about eavesdropping! I’ve even hushed the people at my own table so I could hear better. It’s awful! But it’s given my husband and I some of our greatest long-running inside jokes! I would worry about people eavesdropping on me in some kind of karmic twist but I’m fairly obnoxiously loud and I put my whole life on the internet as a way to earn spending money so… yeah…. it’s all out there already anyway. LOL

LB January 7, 2014, 5:19 PM

YOUNGER. Much younger. I bet half the fans at the NYE show didn’t even appreciate the gag (the awesomeness that was set 2). They probably don’t know what gamehendge is! And when Trey was saying “READ THE F’ING BOOK” I’d like to think that he was talking to all the youngin’s in the arena who are more interested in the “scene” than the music.

Blond Duck January 7, 2014, 11:39 PM

I love eavesdropping. Gives me great writing ideas!