The pressure of New Year’s Eve

– Posted in: letting go, new year's eve

Cleaning confetti out of my hair, nursing a hangover, and trying to convince myself to get back on the ol’ wagon have always been signs of a New Year’s Eve well spent (or just a nagging reminder that I have polished off a few too many Christmas cookies and need to get my ass back to the gym).

It’s been a few years since I pranced around the streets of the city in weather-inappropriate clothing on my way to dance my ass off. I think the last Phish show I saw on NYE was three years ago, both as a result of inflated ticket prices and because the idea of going out on one of the biggest party nights of the year is oftentimes a bit more than I’d like to handle.

But the pressure is still there. It’s impossible not to feel like a lame-o when the entire world is out celebrating and you are home in your pajamas, guzzling back a few extra glasses of wine. In I-might-be-the-greatest-nerd-that-ever-was news, a friend recently mentioned a reading challenge (i.e., to read an entire book and finish by midnight) that I really wanted to sink my teeth into (I can sadly no longer renew The Paris Wife from my local library). But then I thought that might be the last nail in the coffin and solidify my status as the anti-fun.

I nixed the reading challenge.

I have to say, I enjoyed my NYE this year, despite it being on the quiet side. I took some time to reflect on the good in my life. Bryan was just getting over the flu and together we watched the ball drop with our little foster puppy. We ordered in from our favorite Mexican restaurant and celebrated new beginnings. I called my dad and texted my friends at the New Year as I always do.

Sometimes it’s hard to silence the noise and the nagging pressure. But when I feel at peace, there’s no place I’d rather be.

And for once, I didn’t care what the rest of the world was doing.

Laura January 2, 2014, 9:49 AM

Hey Char– I actually didn’t feel even a twinge of sadness about missing NYE Phish. Phish any other day, yes, but not NYE. But what sealed the deal was one of my friends was on the train psot show (she didn’t go to MSG, just happened to be on the train with some concert-goers) and said some young 20 somethings were talking about the old dudes at the show, and later revealed these fogies were 35! Zing! I blame that either on show location, or the hype of the holiday.

Nonetheless, I’m over the crowded bars and overpriced meals as well. An intimate night in with fam and friends is where it’s at. That said, my beau works in sports tv, and is always out of town doing a bowl game on nye. THAT sucks. I feel like I don’t care about the ball drop and all that jazz, but not being able to be with your significant other, even if just cozy on the couch, can bring the blues. Fortunately it passed when the sun rose the next morning. So hug your Bry and pup a little tighter!

trininista January 2, 2014, 10:23 AM

I spent NYE at my aunt’s with the rest of our raucous family and it was lovely. I don’t miss the partying. I am just happy to be around loved ones to ring in the new year. Do try to finish The Paris Wife. My heart bled for the Missus. That element of the story is the part that really resonated with me.

trininista January 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

Oh, and Happy New Year!!!! I am so evil!!!! I forgot. Wishing you an abundance of joy and success this year!!

Rachel Cotterill January 2, 2014, 10:40 AM

The reading challenge sounds pretty awesome to me :) I tend to go and visit some friends – we sit around, eat and drink, and play silly party games. It’s always a really relaxed way to spend a couple of days.

Lillian January 2, 2014, 1:47 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! May 2014 bring you exciting and wonderful things!! Awwwwwww, low key New Year’s celebrations are all the rage now, didn’t you know? :)

Ilene January 2, 2014, 7:05 PM

It’s powerful to not are about what the rest of the world is doing. I was in on NYE too. With my kids, eating ice cream. I didn’t even make it till midnight!

Meg January 2, 2014, 10:18 PM

Your NYE sounds wonderful. If my boyfriend was here with me we might have done the same. I had a girls night out with hundreds of other people. I think that was my first time doing a big NYE like that! Hah!

Rushfit January 3, 2014, 10:39 AM

Charlotte,
What a nice post! I’ve been to Times Square on NYE and I’ve also been home in a more subdued setting on NYE and I have to tell you, I did like being home on NYE better. The craziness of NYC on NYE was overwhelming! There’s something to be said about bringing in the New Year with someone you’re close with in a more intimate and casual environment. I really enjoyed your post!

Marianne January 3, 2014, 7:57 PM

I just chilled this year too! Didn’t have Phish tickets. My boyfriend had to work til 8:30 in Connecticut so we decided to just chill at his place. I was more than happy to do that since I was partying the preceding 5 nights anyway and I could use a break. I kept telling him how much I would rather be chilling with him anyway. He heard it as me justifying missing the shows, but there was really no place I wanted to be than with him. Even if I did end up slamming my thumb in the car door but that’s another story. Also, remembering your post from last year about just hanging in on New Years was what really inspired me to let go and relax. I’m serious! So thank you for that!

Single Mom in the South January 4, 2014, 12:25 PM

I confess to never feeling the draw to hit the city on NYE, even when I was a relatively short train ride away We spent it at friends’ house this year playing games with the kids.

Mommy Goes On January 4, 2014, 4:39 PM

I’ve never been much of a party person, so I’ve never felt that NYE pull. My parents have a party each year and I attend that. However, this year was just myself, husband, 2 kids, and our best friend. It was nice and relaxing (until I let the kids scream at midnight).

Visiting from SITS Sharefest :)

Elizabeth January 5, 2014, 8:01 AM

Sounds like you were in a great place! I spent New Year’s watching other people freeze their bums off on TV while I was snuggled in blankets, eating popcorn with my 9 year old. It was perfect!

Stefanie January 5, 2014, 3:58 PM

This was a tough year for me…and I’m recovering from back surgery…so even though I’m actually healthy enough to go out I decided to spend NYE in. I had a fire – great food – some mulled wine – actually it was fabulous. Sounds like we both had a pretty good night! Happy New Years my friend!

catherine gacad January 8, 2014, 12:41 AM

charlotte, don’t be jealous…i was at home reading in bed. then my husband and i went over to the tv to watch the ball drop. but otherwise it was a quiet and very lovely nye!!!