my non-resolutions list

– Posted in: new year's eve, on writing/blogging

As we say goodbye to one year and anticipate another, I thought now would be the perfect time not only to reflect on what was, but to look ahead on all that is yet to come.

Not sure about you, but I’m glad to see 2013 off.

Don’t get me wrong: it was a great year filled with many changes. I stopped working in the city (after a whopping 10 years), got a new job, moved in with my boyfriend, embraced life in the suburbs, and found a new calling as a foster mom to shelter dogs. So far we have taken in four and I hope to continue doing so in the new year.

On the other hand, I let my blog sit idle for long periods of time, I wrote uninspiring posts, and I was generally dissatisfied with my writing and post frequency. I didn’t participate in NaNoWriMo AGAIN and I kick myself repeatedly at another missed opportunity.

I’m not fishing here… just pointing out that I would like to grow both personally and professionally in 2014, and I’m optimistic about changes in the year ahead. I have decided to set a few goals, so if it’s okay with you, I’d love to share them here. Here they are, in no particular order.

• Embrace uncertainty. I used up a lot of time in 2013 worrying. Many times, my anxiety reached epic proportions and I said no to things because I didn’t want to panic and stress. Life is a crapshoot, but that is no way to live. So, anxiety, it’s you and me, kid. We’ll get through this together.
  • Set a new standard, because fuck the competition. I am here to please myself. This means laughing it off when people dive into discussions about my uterus and ticking time clock. Whatever will be, will be.
  • Give my blog a facelift. I’m currently working with a very awesome designer and My Pixie Blog will debut a very new look and feel in the next few weeks. I am insanely excited and have Vanita of The Strategic Mama to thank for this.
  • Be good and kind and sincere. Just before the holidays, I was rushing to get home to a dog I was convinced had chewed her way through the blinds. Along the way, I was asked for change but I ignored the man and kept walking. I easily could have spared a dollar or headed over to the market to pick up a small soup. I resolve to be a better, kinder, and more patient person in 2014.
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler. Because the bottom line is that I should always have fun in this life and in this world.
  • Go further in my career. I’m proud of the advances I made in the past year, but I want to keep pushing myself, growing further, learning more. My exit from publishing and leap into social media was the best decision I ever made professionally. Now I have to find a way to take it to the next level.

That’s it. So far at least. It’s a non-resolutions kind of a list of things that are reasonable and doable.

What about you? Have you made any this year?

photo credit: Sharon Drummond via photopin cc

Mindie December 30, 2013, 9:59 AM

Good post…. I have a non resolution list too…. a kind of “honey do” list for myself LOL

TaMara December 30, 2013, 10:42 AM

Those are some great non-resolutions! I’m still working on my goals for 2014.

Kim Miller December 30, 2013, 11:24 AM

Great post. I can see myself in so much of it too! I think those are great (un) resolutions to have for 2014, and realistically, all of us could probably follow your lead.

Rachel Cotterill December 30, 2013, 1:37 PM

I love your list! :) I’m looking forwards to seeing your redesigned blog, and to following along with you wherever life may lead (and even if sometimes you’re too busy living it to blog it, that’s cool too).

I haven’t worked out my 2014 goals, yet, except that I have a novel and a recipe book to finish. And I want to run at least a half marathon. (Actually, that might be enough to be going on with…)

@klwschmidt December 30, 2013, 3:04 PM

My non-resolution is to be kinder to myself. So many years I have beat myself up about not keeping a resolution or goal….. This year, I’m NOT going to do that. I am going to just BE!

Have a Happy New Year!

Stopping by from SITs :)

catherine gacad December 30, 2013, 4:27 PM

charlotte, i’m so excited to see what develops for you in 2014. 2013 was the worst year of my life so i’m glad to see it go, and i’ll be looking forward, like you, to the new year. it’ll be a great one!

Elizabeth December 30, 2013, 10:09 PM

“Set a new standard, because fuck the competition.” Well said! :) I REALLY struggle with this! I compare myself to others ALL THE TIME. I’m working on it. Maybe that needs to be part of my resolutions (or non-resolutions) list as well.

Meg December 30, 2013, 10:38 PM

I really like the goal of being good, kind, and sincere!

Melissa @ Home on Deranged December 31, 2013, 12:52 AM

Love it! Never thought of doing non-resolutions, but I think it suits my style better. Thanks for the idea.

Nicole December 31, 2013, 4:43 AM

Love your list, Bunny! I’ve learned not to rush the year out (even if it was a bad one), and just learn from it. Do better the next year. That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve had a sort of natural wrap-up/new start with the new job and all that, so I’m going to keep going with it. I’m approaching my health and fitness the right way this year. Doing all the things I’m supposed to do, even if I don’t like them. I won’t be consumed by 3 jobs this year. Just one job, that I will work really hard at, but not sacrifice too much of my social/personal life, either. I just want to live better. Love better. Be the best version of myself that I can be. The rest will fall into place.

Happy New Year, my dear friend. I wish you a beautiful 2014. xoxoxox

vanita December 31, 2013, 5:35 AM

the fact that ignoring that person bothered you so much that it contributed to a resolution shows how kind and sincere you really are. sometimes are brains are so focused on the problem at hand, we have tunnel vision. and then later on we realized there was a bigger problem we could have helped with and feel awful about it. it’s called being human. all we can do is try better next time. now you have inspired me to write a post. hugs girlfriend! thanks for the shoutout too!

Blond Duck December 31, 2013, 10:30 PM

Have you ever tried painting? That helped my anxiety a lot. I can’t wait to see what your new blog looks like!

Tina @ Girl with a New Life January 8, 2014, 5:58 PM

I enjoyed this post so much, it inspired the post I wrote today. *thank you*

The new year has a way of forcing us to reflect on the year past, second only to our birthdays. Just by your very nature, I imagine you’ll always be growing and exploring.

Much happiness to you.