My wish for you this holiday season

– Posted in: other

If there’s one holiday that speaks to my inner child, it’s Christmas. Ever since I was a little girl, I was fascinated by Santa, advent calendars, the North Pole, elves, and the general spirit of the season. Every year around this time, my mom was covered in a faint layer of sugar and cinnamon and my father rang jingle bells on the front porch, convincing my little brother that Santa’s sleigh had just passed overhead.

When I unearth the box of Christmas decorations, hear Mariah in the stores, and take in the colorful displays of the houses in my neighborhood, I’m reminded of what it’s like to be a kid again and how joyful the season should be.

Sadly, it seems the older I get, the more distanced I am from the real meaning of the holiday. I feel guilt for not being ready on time, for my inadequate wrapping skills, and my inability to spend more time with my family and friends.

Just the other day, I had a sobering lesson from my boyfriend when I asked if his mother would like his gift.

“She’ll love it, because it came from you.”

It was a simple, beautiful message wrapped in layers of sage advice. Relax. Ease into the holiday. Remember what’s important.

Love the ones you’re with. Cherish the memories of those who are no longer with us. And remember to be good to one another. Wishing you all a very merry, bright, happy, and healthy holiday season.

Yours always,

Charlotte

Rachel Cotterill December 23, 2013, 12:46 PM

I have a strange relationship with Christmas. I’m not religious, and I don’t particularly want more “stuff” so presents are a bit of a non-starter, but I LOVE the season. (And it’s not just the food, I promise.) Andy and I tend not to exchange gifts, but we’ll agree on something we both enjoy like a meal or a trip to spend money on instead :)
Rachel Cotterill´s last blog post ..Baked Camembert for One

Kelley December 23, 2013, 3:41 PM

I could not have read this post at a more appropriate time. I was in the midst of a major panic attack about my husband’s lost gift and whether we have enough/the right stuff for my step-daughter, whose 10th birthday is Christmas eve. This helped me a great deal. Thank you and happy holidays!

Blond Duck December 23, 2013, 3:57 PM

My wrapping skills look like a three year old, my MIL and mother chastise me for my inability to put silverware lined up oh so perfectly in it’s drawer and my mIL died last night during the fancy dinner because I poured water all over the table trying to manage the goofy pitcher.

The only thing I can do is cook.

Blond Duck´s last blog post ..Pumpkin Cheesecake- Day 2 of the Cheesecake Queen Celebration

Melany December 24, 2013, 11:08 AM

Coudln’t agree with you more! I need some sage – if only I could relax! Wishing you all the best during these holidays and for the new year!
Melany´s last blog post ..Being Single for the Holidays-Yeah?!

catherine gacad December 24, 2013, 4:22 PM

christmas is my favorite holiday because i can’t think of another time of the year that’s so festive! it’s so easy to get caught in the spirit of it all.
catherine gacad´s last blog post ..Christmas Hope

Alison December 26, 2013, 6:56 PM

A truly beautiful message, Charlotte!
My wish for you? A merry, joyful, beautiful time with the ones you love, and a wonderful year ahead. xoxo
Alison´s last blog post ..Happy Holidays!