Help. I’m slowly turning into my mother

– Posted in: other

“Wo ist die Messer?”

“I don’t know where your knife is, mom.”

“Meine messer. I left it in ze middle of ze table!”

“I really have no idea. Don’t we have a drawer full of knives next to the fridge?”

“WO IST DIE MESSER?!”

When I was growing up, this was my nightly ritual and the typical kind of conversation you would hear in my parent’s house. My mother would scream “verdammt nochmal!” into the wind while my brother giggled in the corner and repeated over and over that he, too, had not seen my mother’s favorite knife.

I imagine there are conversations just like this one in kitchens across the country, no?

The other day Bryan was helping me unpack groceries from various bags as we returned from Trader Joe’s.

“Where is the peanut butter?” I asked as I did a quick survey of the items on the counter. It really grinds my gears when he puts things away before I’ve had the chance to take inventory. I know, it’s completely neurotic but it’s just one of those things.

“I haven’t touched the peanut butter. You must have put it in the fridge already.”

“I wouldn’t have put it in the fridge because I don’t like to refrigerate peanut butter.”

All of a sudden, it hit me.

Holy shit.

“You alright?” Bryan had that look on his face that told me he was very very afraid and also slightly amused.

“What the hell, Charlotte? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“It just happened. I have turned into my mom.”

The sweet and crazy German woman I have looked up to all my life was suddenly in the apartment with me going on about the art of putting away groceries. At least I refrained myself from running around like a lunatic for my favorite kitchen knife, right?

When did you first realize you were turning into one of your parents? Did you also experience a moment of mild panic?

Also, I have Thanksgiving brain. Anyone else? I’m having a hard time remembering if I’m coming or going and I feel like I have a million things to do before tomorrow. Good news: my cookie dough truffles received a thumbs-up from Bryan. Bad news: He likes them so much they may never see the dinner table.

Hey, guys–my friend Maria is an independent designer with Origami Owl and she is featuring a Black Friday deal on her Facebook page: book a party with her through Black Friday and get 2 charms of your choice–FREE!! Check it out here!

Rachel Cotterill November 27, 2013, 2:46 PM

I remind myself of my parents sometimes – but I like them so I don’t really mind! :-)
Rachel Cotterill´s last blog post ..Audio Technica SonicFuel Headphones

Karen Peterson November 27, 2013, 7:26 PM

There are times when I say something, and I SWEAR it is my mother’s voice coming out of my mouth. THAT is trippy.
Karen Peterson´s last blog post ..428.5

Glamamom November 27, 2013, 8:04 PM

Happens to the best of us. My husband points it out to me all the time, generally when I’m upset about something. The realization is frightening. You totally look like your mom too :)

Hope you’re doing well otherwise. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! XO

Star Traci November 27, 2013, 9:21 PM

Oh, now that I am a mom, I am constantly having moments like that. Sometimes they make me want to laugh and sometimes I want to cry.
Happy Thanksgiving!
:-)
Traci
Star Traci´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday #73 – Nesting

Catherine Gacad November 28, 2013, 12:00 AM

i knew early on that i turned into my mom. i got her temper! i think it’s pretty hysterical that your mom is asking where he knives are.
Catherine Gacad´s last blog post ..20 Year High School Reunion

Ilene November 28, 2013, 7:37 AM

Well yeah! Of course you had to take inventory before putting the food away! I’m impressed that you will even share the chore of putting the food away with someone else! That’s a task I insist upon doing myself! And so did my mother!
Ilene´s last blog post ..Upside Down

Alison November 29, 2013, 8:21 AM

Hah! It’s actually kind of adorable :)
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Alison´s last blog post ..In Giving, We Receive

Mrs. Match November 30, 2013, 8:48 PM

Oh I have mother moments all the time, especially now that I am one! I do cringe a little bit because my mom csn be s bit loud (putting it mildly ) and annoying. But I love her! Your mother sounds adorable!

Single Mom in the South December 2, 2013, 11:21 AM

The day I found my son responding to the small thing about him I was criticizing, like, “How many times do I have to ask them to take out the garbage…” and I realize I was talking out loud. Totally my mother!

Blond Duck December 2, 2013, 10:35 PM

Please tell me you said it in German! PLEASEEEE!

Blond Duck´s last blog post ..A Winter Squirrel….

Tina @ Girl with a New Life December 10, 2013, 5:35 PM

Mmmm… I have these moments more than I would like to admit. The good moments are the ones when I find myself singing my words when I’m saying something affectionate. When I drop the F bomb, I blame it on my father. ;)
Tina @ Girl with a New Life´s last blog post ..Less Facebook Status, More Christmas