Ghosts that we knew

– Posted in: a not-so-brief history

Best of DETOX tour 2011

Tomorrow marks the last day of a two-week vegan cleanse I have been participating in with Bryan. Since we have an upcoming trip to Ireland and I have some stubborn belly weight to lose (why?? Why can’t it go to my ass?!) and a far more sedentary lifestyle now that I’m working from home, I knew it was time to turn things around. I am taking active steps (literally and figuratively) to eat better, exercise, and rid my body of the toxins once and for all. I feel good. With a bit more research and less of a bargain-hunting mentality (anyone else obsessed with Living Social, Groupon, and Lifebooker?), we may have found a more optimal cleanse with a greater impact, but I’m glad we did it. We’re already thinking of upcoming detoxes, though we’ll obviously give it some time before participating in another.

Two weeks ago was also the last day I took an anxiety pill. Plagued with panic for the better part of the last two years, swallowing my final dose was symbolic of a new beginning. Toxins and panic are two things my body (and mind) will not miss.

Last night, Bryan, my brother, and I attended a Mumford and Sons concert in Forest Hills, Queens with approximately 17,000 other people that I definitely would not have been able to handle just a year prior. An overwhelming sea of strangers combined with long wait times for the bathrooms would have amounted to an attack of epic proportions. Though there were moments when I worried about finding the exit and what would happen if God forbid there was a fire, I survived the evening unscathed and managed to have a good time.

As Marcus Mumford sings “the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view and we’ll live a long life.”

Have you been able to shake yourself of some ghosts lately?

Nicole August 29, 2013, 11:53 AM

Congrats, congrats, congrats! Fresh starts are so wonderful. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve once again committed myself to the idea of moderation. I’ve finally resigned myself to the fact that anything extreme doesn’t work for me. I was so excited about paleo/primal living, but it proved to be too much for me. My body doesn’t like it. My body doesn’t like anything too extreme or intense. So, no more of that. No more goals to work out 6-7 days a week for an hour and a half a day. Now it’s 30-60 mins, 5 days a week. I’m taking care of myself optimally through moderation, rather than moderately through extremes. Feels good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel Cotterill August 29, 2013, 3:25 PM

I’ve been trying really hard to train myself into healthy choices lately. I started running two weeks ago, and am going out about 4 days a week (trying to do more!), and I’m being a lot more conscious about food. And although I do still have a bit of a cake addiction, I’m at least making more vegan cakes ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I know what you mean about crowds. I had a meltdown on the Underground once, the only time I ever made the mistake of travelling during the rush hour. I just had to sit down on the floor for half an hour until it cleared a bit. I think I’m a bit better these days, but I also live in a much quieter area.

Great work with your detoxing and facing your demons head-on. Hugs & best wishes xx

Blond Duck August 30, 2013, 8:05 AM

Planks and pilates really helped my abs.

Louise August 30, 2013, 3:08 PM

Well done!! I couldn’t sick a two week detox! I have NO will power… thank god I don’t smoke!

Krysten August 30, 2013, 4:00 PM

My ghosts won’t leave me alone right now, and sometimes I fear I will never be strong enough to get rid of them.

Mrs. Match September 1, 2013, 7:33 PM

Ireland? I’m soooo jealous/excited for you! Wow, good for you for doing the cleanse. I did one once and I found it made me a raving bitchface! I definitely need my calories ๐Ÿ˜‰ So I just work out instead. I’m right there with ya-all my extra weight goes to the belly. Boooo!
I’m hoping to shed the ghost of my insecurities. Something about being post partum and all the influx of hormones has me feeling needy/irritable. Bleck! I think it’s time for this mommy to snag some ME time!

trininista September 1, 2013, 9:58 PM

I did a juice cleanse for 2 weeks. Best decision ever. I cannot wait to follow you around Ireland.

Alexandra September 4, 2013, 11:48 PM

Always sending you the best. Tell me how you’re feeling. xo