staying mindful in a changing world

– Posted in: Eat Pray Love journey, letting go, moving, yoga

It’s been a while since my last post. Sadly I don’t have any confessions for today, though there were probably some incriminating photos taken at a recent bachelorette party for my cousin’s fiancé.

Anyway, we got the apartment! There is so much to do before the end of the month and I’m starting to panic a bit but I couldn’t be happier to cross apartment-searching off of my list. What a pain that is. Now if only I could have someone box up all of the useless knick knacks, dishes, and God knows what else I have collected over the years…

I’ve taken a bit of a break from blogging lately because I find that my stress levels have been elevated a bit. Though I’m extremely excited about moving in with Bryan, I think I’m starting to panic about the many life changes I have made in the past few months and I am realizing I haven’t fully allowed myself time to process them all. I’m scared my anxiety is starting to set in again slowly and I’m doing all that I can to stay level-headed and embrace and move with change.

The other day, I set my intention in a yoga class. After an embarrassingly long hiatus, I returned on a rainy Monday, unrolled my mat on the hard, wooden floor, and closed my eyes for a moment of mindful meditation.

Meditation

“Today I will lose myself in my practice,” I vowed. In some ways, it felt like the most selfish promise I could make to myself, but it was a beautiful gift nonetheless. Letting go of obsessive compulsions and finding moments of zen are always appreciated.

I’m not sure about you, but as the days go by, I find it harder and harder to embrace the here, the now, the moments that slip through fingertips and become embedded in memory.

How do you melt into a moment? Are you mindful of what you are experiencing and feeling when life changes all around you?

Shannon June 12, 2013, 10:48 AM

Congrats on the apartment! Congratulations on finding some zen! I should probably try yoga myself 🙂

Krysten June 12, 2013, 11:23 AM

Yay for the apartment! But I know how stressful moving can me, ugh. Just take it day by day and remind yourself that it will all get done.

catherine gacad June 12, 2013, 12:03 PM

Yes, I agree that sometimes you just need to take a break from certain things and focus on you! I’m so glad you got the apartment. Focus on getting settled and we look forward to seeing pictures of your new abode 🙂 When I am really stressed, I spend hours in the steam room and I try to let my mind be still.

Girl with a New Life June 12, 2013, 12:35 PM

Yay! I’m happy the apartment issue is settled, and right on time for your deadline.

We just moved houses right before I saw you in NYC, so I’m right there with you on the elevated stress levels. Building breaks into the schedule and knowing when to say “no” always helps with me. We all have friends who show up in a blur of exhaustion and distraction, so we know how much less we have to offer when we are not caring for ourselves. Better to bow out and plug in when we are rested.

Rachel Cotterill June 12, 2013, 3:40 PM

I really need to spend more time just being. It’s so tempting to cram more into every day, but it gets so exhausting, doesn’t it?

Solo @ 30 June 12, 2013, 5:51 PM

Congrats on the new place! My boyfriend and I just started the move in yesterday. Thinking about all the stuff I have to move has been extremely overwhelming – I have probably three times as much stuff as he does, which was all moved in yesterday. It’s exciting, stressful, but best of all, the start of a lovely new chapter. Can’t wait until I get to join him full-time. Hope you have a wonderful move and transition! Take it one day, one step at a time. Focus on that happy picture of *your home together* to help keep you sane. 🙂

Nicole June 13, 2013, 5:45 AM

I know how easy it is for all of this to overwhelm us. And I know you are excited and appreciative and all that goes with it. What concerns me most about your post is “In some ways, it felt like the most selfish promise I could make to myself, but it was a beautiful gift nonetheless.”

Taking care of yourself, of your peace of mind, of your soul is NEVER selfish. We can’t be everything we want to be to those around us if we don’t take care of ourselves first. You might’ve had a more “practical” use for that time, but the dishes WILL get packed, one way or another. It’ll all get done. Take those moments, make and keep those promises, and NEVER feel guilty for taking care of yourself.

I am so excited for you guys. What a wonderful new chapter. And please, PLEASE reach out if you need help. I’ve moved so many times, I’d consider myself a pro. 😉 xoxox

Blond Duck June 13, 2013, 9:50 PM

The more I get into art and away from the computer, the harder it is for me to come back to social media. It seems so busy, so pointless….not the individual blogs, but all the tweeting and facebook and pininterest…just always me me me me me me

trininista June 16, 2013, 2:42 AM

Congrats on the apartment and this new chapter. Wishing you all the best!

Mrs. Match June 21, 2013, 6:11 AM

You got the place, yay! I’m so happy for you both. This is a great step, and it’s only going to bring you closer.
I often have trouble living in the moment. I’m really trying to learn to soak them in, especially now that we have our little guy. He grows and changes so much and I just want to enjoy every second. I just have to stop, put down the iPad, computer, turn off the tv and phone, and just appreciate my Lil family.

Alexandra June 27, 2013, 12:37 AM

You are so much ahead of the game then I ever was when I was single. Your life will be charmed. xo