meet Kos, the latest foster dog to steal my heart

– Posted in: other

Last weekend Bryan and I returned to Liberty Humane Society to check out some of their available dogs. Now that I’m working from home, I have a lot more time to devote to a four-legged companion (and it’s been a bit lonely in my apartment ever since Sandy went home with her forever family). I had visited Kos on a few occasions and I wanted to see him again. Of all the dogs at the shelter, he’d been there longest (seven months) and had two strikes against him: he’s a pit bull and he’s black. Apparently there IS such a thing as Black Dog Syndrome and dogs in shelters who have black coats tend to get overlooked much more frequently than their lighter-colored furry counterparts.

Kos needed a home, a bath, and some TLC. Bryan and I were happy to step in. We took him to get cleaned off:

brought him with us when we ran errands/went food shopping:

and snuggled with him on the couch:

Kos has been a pleasure to have in the apartment. He’s an incredibly well-behaved house guest and has never begged for food or marked his territory on my wooden floors (thanks, Kos!). He loves to play, catch treats in midair, and give high-fives. Though I feel guilty I don’t have more room to really romp around with him in my shoebox, he’s happy just to follow me around the apartment and go for adventures outdoors. Sadly, I found out the park near me in Hoboken is a pit-free zone so I have to think of creative ways of getting him to burn off some energy.

A bit of back story on him: Kos was left behind at the shelter after living with a family for two years (he’s about three years young now). It breaks my heart to think he had bonded with a family for his puppy years and they simply surrendered him once he felt comfortable around them, but I obviously don’t know the circumstances and can’t judge. Who knows: maybe the family had to move and they couldn’t take him with them. He is very sociable, loves meeting folks around town, and is mild mannered around dogs of all sizes. He’s a bit of a scaredy cat and usually jumps behind my legs when a small dog yips at him, which I always find amusing.

Also? Apparently he’s a Red Bulls fan.

To read more about Kos, check out his profile on Petfinder here. If you have any questions/are interested in adopting Kos, please email me at charlotte@mypixieblog.com. Please help me spread the word about this sweet boy!

Rachel Cotterill April 23, 2013, 11:09 AM

I love that you do the fostering – and he’s gorgeous ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope your circumstances will allow you to have a ‘forever’ dog one day, you’d be brilliant (though you might want to keep them ALL then ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

trininista April 23, 2013, 12:20 PM

He is so adorable. You will be richly blessed every day for taking time and effort to love these lovelies.

Krysten April 23, 2013, 3:27 PM

What a little cutie pie, I bet he’s going to find a good home very soon!

P.S. That last picture of the three of you is ADORABLE.

Gia April 23, 2013, 6:26 PM

aww! What a sweetheart! <3

Mrs. Match April 24, 2013, 12:10 PM

Oh my goodness he looks so happy to be with you guys!! That’s such a bummer about areas being pit free. Pits get such a bad rap-mostly because of crappy owners that want them for their inherent aggressive tendencies. So sad!
I hope Kos finds a great forever home, but I’m glad he has you in the meantime!

Michelle April 24, 2013, 12:48 PM

My goodness, he is so handsome! You are wonderful for doing this. I have 7 (3 dogs, 4 cats) so we cannot foster but 6 of the seven are shelter pets (the puppy was from a friend…I couldn’t resist). 3 of our animals are all black, and 3 are black and white. Only the one cat is a brown tabby.

Pretzel Thief April 25, 2013, 1:28 AM

Awwww. You guys are just the SWEETEST! Seriously, you’re both amazing people. Mwah! XOXO

Alexandra April 25, 2013, 10:19 PM

He looks like he knows you love him!

Blond Duck April 25, 2013, 10:28 PM

I would have to keep him!

Pam April 26, 2013, 11:17 AM

AWWW, he is such a cutie. You are special to be fostering him. I have such respect for people who do that. We have had a little puppymill rescue for about three years now, and I still keep in touch with her foster mom. Stopped by from SITS.

Kimberly, The Fur Mom April 26, 2013, 8:34 PM

I could just kiss you for this post. I love it and I’m grinning from ear to ear while I type. Such a sweet sweet dog ๐Ÿ™‚ And you’re a sweet sweet human!!!

misssrobin April 27, 2013, 1:02 PM

I’ve never heard of fostering a dog. What a wonderful thing to do. He’s adorable. I hope you’re able to find him a good home. Thanks for sharing him with us a bit.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Kristiina April 27, 2013, 1:24 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE you for fostering! I work in rescue and you are totally right, there is a huge prejudice against black (mostly black) dogs and cats. It’s such a bummer.

Lisa Newlin April 27, 2013, 3:40 PM

I love that you are fostering, and love even more that it’s a pittie mix! He is so handsome and sweet and I know black dogs are harder to get adopted, especially the pittie mixes. I’m not sure why, but it’s true.

My hubby and I used to foster, but ended up adopting our last foster, so now we have 3 dogs and two people, so we don’t foster anymore. However, we’re very active with a local rescue shelter including doing shelter shifts, fundraising, community outreach, etc.

Good for you for taking in a dog that needed a family and some love. I’m sure you will be rewarded for it 10 times over. It looks like you’re already reaping that reward with how sweet he is.

FYI: I’m visiting from the SITS GIRLS Sharefest. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mariann April 27, 2013, 7:48 PM

I’m glad to have connected with you. You have a heart of gold! This post is amazing and the fact that you foster animals from the shelter is spectacular! It feels good to connect with people with pure hearts, genuine intentions and great auras!
I have plugged this post to every one of my social media outlets. We’re going to find that sweet boy a GREAT home!
Keep up the wonderful work!