just another manic monday

– Posted in: other, travel

It’s hard to believe the weekend is over already. My friend posted the graphic below on her Facebook wall this morning and it seemed rather fitting. Sadly I’ve already run out of granola and coffee, but there is a snack machine conveniently steps away. Minutes later: thank Buddha for Cheez-Its.

There were many highs and lows this past weekend. As I blogged about here, a beloved coworker passed away recently and I attended her funeral yesterday with a friend I haven’t seen in some time. As sad as the circumstances were, it was nice to spend a day with her and catch up like old times. We discussed stories of our mutual friend and how happy she would have been with the ceremony, which truly was a celebration of her exuberant life.

I have been feeling a bit of unrest lately. It has to do with a combination of things, but I think it boils down to the fact that I am in dire need of a vacation. A real pack-my-bags-and-get-on-a-plane vacation. I have been seeing so many posts lately from friends in the northeast trading in frigid temperatures in favor of the warm sun and golden sands of the Caribbean or the vivid colors and historic nooks of Europe and again I’m bitten by the travel bug. Bryan and I have possibly discussed getting away for a meditation retreat (his ears perked up when I mentioned I would be taking a vow of silence–HA!) but I’d really like to make this the year where I venture further, explore more, DO more. If the funeral this past weekend taught me anything, it’s that life is entirely too short, and if we wait until we have enough money, more time off, more excuses, we’ll never get where we want to be.

In very bittersweet news, my sweet Sandy (the pit I have been fostering for the past 6 weeks or so) has found her forever family. Two parents and two children made the long trek from south Jersey to meet with her and I think it was love at first sight for everyone. Sandy loved the extra attention (and treats) and she will soon graduate from my tiny shoebox apartment to a large house with a fenced-in yard and plenty of space to roam. I couldn’t be happier for her, though obviously the separation will be difficult. I guess I’ll have no other choice but to foster another!

How are you all, my sweet ones? What did you do this weekend? Stay tuned: letter to Patti Stanger, yummy product review, and much more to come this week! XOXO

Nicole February 25, 2013, 12:58 PM

Sounds like a bittersweet weekend for you, love. So happy for Sandy! I know it will be hard, but I’m proud of you for being so selfless and recognizing that this is Sandy’s family. And you’ll take in another and get to fulfill your goal of fostering this year. And I am so very glad I got to meet her. She’s a sweetie. Just like her foster mommy. 😉 xoxo

Krysten February 25, 2013, 2:23 PM

I know how you feel about wanting to travel, everyone I know seems to be going on trips and it makes me JEALOUS. Izzy and I are currently saving for a vacay but probably won’t take it till next year so… until then it’s just wishful thinking.

And while I’m sad you’ll be losing Sandy I am so happy to hear she’s found a good home. She’s so lucky she had you until the perfect forever family could come along!

Karen Peterson February 25, 2013, 5:40 PM

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my Monday mornings…

I’m happy for Sandy, but I hope the transition isn’t too hard for you!

Ah, vacations. I need one, too. Desperately.

Alison February 26, 2013, 7:51 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss again, but glad you managed to spend time with your friend. Life is too short, indeed. Grab every moment.

I was just telling my sister today that i desperately need a vacation. A few days of sleeping in, and not having to pick up after anyone. One can dream, right?

Girl with a New Life February 27, 2013, 12:36 PM

I’m also a fan of that flow chart.

Since my recent funeral I’ve promised myself to live better and be more gentle.

My last weekend? Drinks with friends. Plenty of rest and renovation work.

I hope to have a more thoughtful post for you soon. My brain is all dried up this week.

Gia February 28, 2013, 3:59 AM

I hope you get a chance to get away! It sounds like you could really use the time to de-stress and rejuvenate. It’s now early Thursday morning and I think I’m still on par with the standard of that flow chart. 😉

Kimberly February 28, 2013, 1:00 PM

it is terrible that it takes a funeral for us to realize that life is so precious. I forget this far too often and I shouldn’t.
I’m really sorry that this happened and all I can do is offer you some giant over the border hugs.

Single Mom in the South March 2, 2013, 9:18 AM

Well, we are already on to another weekend and I”m just checking in. I’m with you on the need for a vacay. We are heading south to visit my parents at the end of the month, but we have to drive and stay with them, so not quite a true getaway, but still one I”m looking forward to.

Pretzel Thief March 14, 2013, 8:32 AM

Venture further all the way down to Oz, bahahah! C’monnnnnnn. You can stay with us and we’ll take you to oodles of awesome places! 🙂

Missed you heaps, m’dear! Sorry I’ve been such a stranger, ugh…I suck! When I saw all your comments I was like OMG CHAAAAR! Thank you for my making my day(s).

Smooches!