Match.com releases latest study on singles in America

– Posted in: dating, sponsored post

Last Saturday, a few bloggers got together after a huge snowstorm covered the streets of New York to hear about the latest study released by Match.com. The broadcast focused on a variety of topics, including sexting, dating taboos, and one-night stands, while some lesser known facts about dating, relationships, and mainly, being single in America were presented by Dr. Helen Fisher in an interesting presentation. Click here for more information:

According to the study, 65% of all couples do not post their relationship status on Facebook, a statistic I find oddly refreshing. Since I virtually know when all of my friends are sneezing, it’s nice to know that some things are still kept somewhat private. Personally, I never found the need to update my status, but I wonder if I do it more out of superstition than anything else. What about you? Have you updated your status on FB to indicate that you’re in a relationship?

Apparently “friends with benefits” is on the rise, with 40% of all women and 53% of all men preferring this route over monogamy. One statistic that I thought was cute and somewhat unexpected is that single men are twice as likely to say that their first love was before the age of 10. I know there’s not a chance in Hades that Craig Kafko is reading this (my elementary-school crush), but how creepy would it be to go around like this guy Mitch and try to pick up old flames?

There were some parts of the study that were pretty straightforward, like the fact that most people think it’s rude to text on a date and that 90% of all people think it’s bad form to break up via text. I mean, who does these things anyway? It’s almost as bad as pulling a Berger and breaking up with Carrie via Post-It note on Sex and the City. Seems online dating is still the #1 preferred method of meeting people, while going on Facebook and trolling the bars come in at #2 and #3 respectively.

I’m always fascinated by the ever-changing field of dating in America so I find surveys like this to be useful, if not indicative of where we are as a society and how our lifestyles are constantly changing.

What do you think about this study? Do you find the results accurate?

All opinions expressed herein are entirely my own. This post was sponsored by Match.com.

Kristiina February 15, 2013, 6:30 PM

That’s really interesting! I’m surprised by the facebook status thing but I guess I can understand it.

Single Mom in the South February 15, 2013, 7:14 PM

I haven’t posted my relationship status on facebook! :-)

Kimberly February 15, 2013, 10:29 PM

While I was at the gym today, I heard Anderson Cooper talking about this very same study. I have often wondered how one knows when it’s the right time to change your status on Facebook. I think in engagement sounds like a good time.

Mattie February 18, 2013, 9:28 AM

The FB relationship status bit is particularly interesting. My friends who don’t have it listed are the ones who have had significant breakups in the last five years or so and had to undergo the whole “no longer in a relationship with” or, worse, “no longer married to” change. That wasn’t pleasant or pretty.

Online dating never ceases to fascinate and infuriate me. It feels as though it’s become a necessary evil…although for many, it hasn’t hasn’t been evil at all. So keep on keeping on, I suppose?

Krysten February 18, 2013, 10:16 AM

Very interesting.

I didn’t update my Facebook status for FOREVER when Iz and I started dating. Mostly, though, it was because I didn’t want people nosing into my business, saying, “Do you think it’s a bit soon?”

And the friends with benefits rise kind of freaks me out. But I’ve never been that kind of girl.

Blond Duck February 18, 2013, 9:20 PM

When I was in high school, people broke up over instant messenger. So trashy.

Girl with a New Life February 20, 2013, 12:09 PM

I would love to know what percent of singles find their spouses through online dating.

And the friends with benefits stats? That did surprise me–though maybe it shouldn’t.

trininista February 22, 2013, 8:06 AM

I wish someone would do a study about where I live. It would be a pretty depressing research. lol