a dose of retail therapy

– Posted in: other, yoga

I have never been a good shopper. Or, I should say, I’m not one to go where the deals are. Because crowds tend to freak me out and I’d much rather go to the dentist than think about waiting on long lines or wrestling people over a $4 bra.

That being said, I decided to venture to the Yoga Bowl at the Nassau coliseum this past weekend with a good friend and patient shopper to check out some of the Lululemon deals. She can get in the fray when I’d much rather chill on the sidelines so she was the perfect companion to scour the racks with. I managed to find shorts, a headband, sweater, jacket, and hoodie and I stayed (mostly) within budget. I’ve taken on a lot of extra freelance work in the past few weeks but what’s a bit of extra cash if I just hoard it, right? This, my friends, is how I will stay in debt forever.

But there was more to this outing than just a reason to bond with a good friend and get some cute Bikram shorts. Over the past few weeks I’ve noticed I’ve been packing on a few extra in my tummy (where I tend to gain most of my weight. Why can’t it go to my ass? I want donkey booty!).

I couldn’t take it anymore; “hibernation chic” isn’t a look I want to master. No more donuts from Cinnamon Snail, the greatest vegan food truck there ever was. No more late night snacking. No more lazy evenings spent on the couch in front of the space heater. There will be more walks with the dog, more yoga practice, and a desire to lead an active and healthy lifestyle.

So far, the shopping splurge has helped me stay motivated. I did a workout DVD that totally kicked my ass the other night (thanks, Jillian Michaels), I’ve ordered a Living Social deal to a local gym, and I’ve been monitoring my eating habits closely (goodbye, cookie butter from Trader Joe’s. What, are you trying to kill me?!).

As much as I’d love to shed the extra tummy weight, what I really want to do is remember how great it feels to have more energy, feel fit and sexy once again, and find strength and balance on a yoga mat.

It’s the greatest gift I could ever give to myself.

Have you ever splurged on fitness wear to motivate you to stay in shape? Did it help? Please tell me in the comments below!

This photo was taken by Shar of Movements by Shar. Check her out; she is AH-MAY-ZING!

Krysten February 6, 2013, 10:15 AM

I HATE crowds. They stress me out big time. Even going to Target when it’s a little crowded is enough to get me very angry.

And I need to get back into shape too. It’s just so hard when it’s so COLD OUT.

Nicole February 6, 2013, 10:26 AM

Yeah, a little fitness wear splurge will get me excited about my workout. I also have certain workout wear that only looks good on me when I’m carrying a lighter load, so getting back into those motivates me also.

Glad to hear you’re getting back into the fitness swing! I’ve started a new regimen (5 days a week: 4 of weight training, 1 of cardio/strength), and I’m excited about it. Now that we’re over the holiday cookie hump, let’s get to it!

Gia February 6, 2013, 7:51 PM

Mmm, I’m with you. I just want some energy back and the deliciously heavily cream-laden soups aren’t going to do that. Glad you found some deals on lululemon stuff – I’m convinced their gear makes my workouts better. Cheering you on! XOXO

Single Mom in the South February 7, 2013, 6:32 AM

I get my yoga pants for $12 from Target :-)

The Nassau Coliseum! The last time I was there was for a Billy Joel concert in 199-something!

Blond Duck February 7, 2013, 10:49 PM

My weight clings to my inner theighs and hips…so not cute in shorts.

My problem is the peanut butter.

Allyson February 7, 2013, 11:50 PM

Although it kills my soul to buy anything Lululemon…there really isn’t anything like it. It’s like the Cadillac of workout attire. So cheers to you for finding it on the cheap! I don’t know what this cookie butter is that you speak of but there’s a Trader Joe’s across the street from my Hobby Lobby. Do I need to investigate?

Also…if it comes from a vegan food truck, does it really have any calories? Meh. Me thinks no.

Mrs. Match February 9, 2013, 3:07 PM

I miss the endorphin rush oh so much. I cannot wait to get back out there and workout once this little guy makes his appearance. I do walk, but lately it’s been rough with round ligament pains. I know I’m doing all that I can for this lil guy to stay healthy while he grows, but I could do without the cottage cheese booty!!

Match got me a gift certificate to Sports Authority, and I plan to splurge on workout clothes to motivate myself after the baby comes. Enjoy it girl! Yoga, and that relaxed fit feeling afterwards are wonderful!

lisa thomson February 9, 2013, 3:53 PM

Absolutely! There’s no better workout clothes than LULU Lemon, unfortunately they’re not cheap. If I invest in their stuff, then I HAVE to workout! I recently started a yoga program and loving it.

Nicole February 9, 2013, 6:57 PM

What tummy? You look beautiful just way you are! I know you will succeed with anything you put your mind to. The Lululemon stuff is just a bonus. :) You will be back to your regular workout in no time…I’m sure if it. Here’s to bikram and Jillian Michaels! Love you, honey! Xoxo

Girl with a New Life February 11, 2013, 10:53 AM

I’m very guilty of looking slouchy when I work out with all my worn out gear, but it does make sense that if you look forward to what you have to wear you will be more inspired to get out there.

Fitness is all about feeling good. And cheers to that.