second chances

– Posted in: other

I am a firm believer in second chances, as I myself have received quite a few over the years: in work places, with friends, and in the midst of a stormy relationship. I believe it’s important to pay the karma forward, and it’s with this intention that I’ve decided to start off 2013 a bit differently.

Last week I alluded to an exciting development that seemed to come about organically with a visit to the Liberty Humane Society in Jersey City, NJ. While scanning the cages of the many hungry, eager, excited, and anxious dogs, Sandy–and her story–caught my attention.

She was brought in to the shelter at the tail end of a hurricane that devastated areas of New York and New Jersey. Found wandering the streets, she suffered from multiple lacerations, believed to be the result of flying debris. When Bryan and I took her out for a walk, we were immediately impressed that a girl who had been through so much could have such a kind demeanor. We taught her to sit and go down and within minutes she was rolling on her back for a belly rub.

As I type this, Sandy is fast asleep on the couch next to me, peaceful and calm. It breaks my heart that I cannot take in more animals, but it feels good to know that she’s safe here. After all she’s been through, giving her space in my 400 square foot apartment seems to be the least I can do.

What bothers me the most is that there isn’t much understanding about her breed (she is clearly a pit mix), and she’s often met with harsh judgment because of her scars. Rest assured; Sandy wouldn’t hurt a fly. The scars she bears are a sad reminder of all she has endured in her young life as a result of a hurricane we were all affected by in the northeast; they are not the result of dog fighting.

I would desperately love to find her a forever home, preferably with a yard because she has lots of energy. She’s also a total love bug and would benefit from having multiple people around her. In addition to belly rubs, some of Sandy’s favorites include pineapples, carrots, playing with her chew toys and trying to break into the toy storage container, and watching the Bachelor. I’m not kidding; I think she has a crush on Sean.

I have a huge favor to ask of you. If you know of anyone in the New York/New Jersey area looking to give a very deserving dog a home, please share this post with them. I’d love it, too, if you could share on Facebook/Twitter (mention me @MyPixieBlog). My goal is to take in as many animals as possible this year, but I already have a special affinity for this little pup. It’ll be incredibly sad to let her go, and I’ve only had her a few days!

Nicole January 16, 2013, 12:17 PM

That last pic of her is absolutely ADORABLE!!! I am sure someone will give her a home in no time!

Gia January 16, 2013, 1:31 PM

So sweet of you to do this! She is so precious!

Nicole January 16, 2013, 1:55 PM

Omg, I so wish I could take her. She’s adorable!

Bonda84 January 16, 2013, 3:39 PM

She is just beautiful! I always worry so much about animals when disasters happen, sometimes they are the least thought of in times like that. I’m sure she will find an amazing forever home and in the mean while will totally love being with you :)

Kathleen January 16, 2013, 4:35 PM

I met Sandy this weekend in Hoboken with my own rescue dog, Leon. Sandy was friendly with Leon and wanted to play, and seemed to love being walked and meeting new people and dogs!

Krysten January 16, 2013, 4:50 PM

She is so BEAUTIFUL. What a little cutie. And I firmly believe that ANY dog can be brought up to be either the sweetest creature ever or the meanest. Just because a dog is a pit bull doesn’t mean they’re going to be bad. If they have good owners they’ll be good dogs.

I hope Sandy finds a forever home soon but it makes me happy to know she’s safe with you till then. Give her some kisses for me!

Jennie January 16, 2013, 5:11 PM

What a nice write up! We became volunteers days after Sandy hit and walking dogs is now part of our weekend routine. We are also not in a position to take in another pet. However, I will share this with my friends in hopes to find her a home.

Koru Kate {Koru Wedding} January 16, 2013, 9:31 PM

Kudos to you for being a foster parent for dogs! Sandy is such a beauty & I hope she finds a wonderful forever home very soon. I tweeted with a link to Sandy’s post- fingers crossed!

carissajaded January 17, 2013, 6:53 PM

Awww. Sandy is adorable. It always makes me happy inside whenever someone takes in a displaced puppy. My own dog was transferred to a shelter near me after Katrina. I often try to imagine what life was like for her when she was wondering the flooded streets. She’s also a pit mix, and is the best dog in the entire world.

Marie Nicole January 18, 2013, 8:41 AM

I would love to take her in… I’m nowhere near the NYC area, but this is exactly the kind of dog we’d love to have one day once we’re no longer rockin it in the waves. She’s simply adorable! And I have been discovering how pit bulls do carry a bad rep all because of horrible owners and handlers. I can’t wait to live on land solely for the purpose of having a dog!

Rachel Cotterill January 18, 2013, 8:50 AM

Oh, so cute! :)

Karen Peterson January 18, 2013, 3:51 PM

She looks like such a sweetheart. It’s sad she lost her people, but I hope she finds the perfect home.

trininista January 20, 2013, 1:39 AM

She loves The Bachelor. Now there is a special kinda pooch! lol

Lucy January 20, 2013, 4:37 AM

Oh, she is beautiful. Congratulations on the new addition x

Single Mom in the South January 21, 2013, 7:03 AM

Look at you being a doggy mama! She does look like a Sweetie. What a gift you are giving her with your temporary home!

Allyson January 21, 2013, 8:34 PM

What an admirable and fantastic crusade you’re on, Charlotte!! I hope someone snags her up in no time flat because she is really beautiful. What makes me so sad is that she may have a family out there who lost her in the madness of the storm and they are missing her terribly. But then, I’m sure they would have claimed her by now. If you don’t get any takers, maybe consider contacting Jen Lancaster (the author). She is a huge proponent of pits and she does a lot to make sure they find good homes. Best of luck! xoxo

Stephanie January 22, 2013, 12:37 PM

What a sweetheart! I am not quite in the NY/NJ area…more like north-central CT but I do have a yard? It’s unfenced since we back into a wetland preserve but basically the whole neighborhood has dogs and thus I have dog envy. The big question is how is she with kitties? I have two kitties who think that they are the alphas :) We are a Bachelor-less household but there is an extreme obsession with Top Chef so perhaps she can join me on crushing on Tom Collicchio.

Pretzel Thief January 22, 2013, 6:03 PM

Okay, first of all? Aaaahhhh, I’ve missed ya! Sorry I’ve been such a terrible no-show on your blog as of late. :-(

Secondly, you rock so hard for doing this. How beyond-sweet of you — you are kind-hearted and wonderful, my friend! Fingers crossed you succeed in finding Sandy as warm and loving a home as the one you’ve provided her thus far.

XOXO

Amber January 22, 2013, 8:48 PM

Oh, I wish I did! I will admit to not being the biggest fan of pits (my dog was attacked by two when he was a pup), but they get such a bad rap. I hope your sweet girl finds a wonderful home…maybe with you? :)

And 400 square feet? Really? Good god. That’s why I live in the “country.”

Blond Duck January 22, 2013, 9:57 PM

I admire you so much. I’d take her in a heartbeat. Ben would have a conniption, but I’d take her.

jocelyn February 1, 2013, 10:52 AM

I am featuring Sandy in my newsletter! Crossing fingers… thank you for being her foster angel!