the benefit of not making any resolutions

– Posted in: Eat Pray Love journey, new year's eve, other

The year started off without much of a bang and yet I’m feeling an immense change. I decided not to make any resolutions for 2013 but I feel like a woman transformed already. Subconsciously I have been working on myself from within and I’m remarkably pleased with the mini non goals I have set. If I made any resolutions this year, they consisted of doing things to make me feel better about myself and to finally stop taking life so seriously. There is no greater sound than that of uncontrollable laughter; no greater feeling than the trail of happy tears along a face wrinkled by years of experience. I want my year to be filled with lots of happy moments, good friends, and loud, obnoxious, belly laughs. Seems obtainable, right?

The other day, I redeemed a Groupon for a salon in Marlboro, NJ, about an hour away from Hoboken. On a sunshine filled Saturday, Bryan and I took a day trip, listening to Mumford and Sons in the car as the scenery floated by along the turnpike. A cut, color, and blowout later (all for just 30 beans!), I felt like a new person. I am now a (bottle) redhead again.

Last night I reconnected with old friends from college. The times are few and far between that we are able to see each other: one is expecting his second child this summer, the other his first and balancing a busy lawyer’s schedule. Swapping memories and laughing at stories of the way we were was something I think we all needed.

Tonight I’m doing something else I’ve neglected for a very long time: I’m returning to therapy. I can’t remember the last time I went but it was definitely before the hurricane. There was a time when missing so much time in the therapist’s office would cause meltdowns of epic proportions. I no longer feel that way. I am simply excited to return and perhaps break through some of the roadblocks I still see in my path. I don’t feel a sense of urgency to get there; I am finally surrendering to the idea that each step is a vital part of the journey. I will get there when I get there.

For someone who hasn’t made a single resolution this new year, I am feeling very motivated to start this year off on the best note possible. There is a sense of calm and kindness that hasn’t existed in my life in many moons. For this, I am immensely proud.

I have alluded to a bit of news in one of my previous posts that I am immensely excited to share with you all. Hint: it involves fur and a hurricane. Does that help?

How are you all, my sweet ones? Did you make any resolutions this year?

Jester Queen January 8, 2013, 12:36 PM

Did Sandy blow a living Wooly Mammoth into your town? Did you help reunite a lost pet with its owner? Did you get a pet of your own? Can’t wait to see. I don’t resolve to do things just because its the New year, but I’m 30 pounds into a 50 pound weight loss goal. When I hit 150, I’ll feel awesome.

Rachel Cotterill January 8, 2013, 2:13 PM

I never used to make resolutions – then I figured out that having goals (not necessarily calendar-based ones) was a real help to me in actually achieving stuff. I’m a natural born list-maker.
As for the news – have you adopted someone made homeless by the storm??

Star Traci January 8, 2013, 2:32 PM

I don’t think you need resolutions when you are making such terrific forward progress in your life. I hope your session is everything you want it to be and boy would I love to see that red hair. Just think of it as Lucille Ball did, you just made your roots match your “natural” color.

And even as the new year gets in full swing, I have NOT forgotten my fiends who are still struggling with the reality that is post-Sandy.

Love to you in 2013!
🙂
Traci

Krysten January 8, 2013, 4:12 PM

Haha I dislike resolutions and yet I’ve definitely made some goals for myself.

And good for you for returning to therapy. I think it can do so much good, even with the little things.

I’m assuming your news is about what you posted on FB?

@bluenotebacker January 8, 2013, 4:26 PM

Sounds like your year is off to a great start and I’m glad to hear it!

I didn’t make any resolutions, per se, but I do have some goals in mind for 2013. I plan to write more, read more (my girlfriend doubted this was possible, I guess I do already read a lot!) and also to simply be more aware of all the wonderful things and people I have in my life.

2013 is all about making things happen. Here’s to yours happening too!

Nicole January 8, 2013, 8:45 PM

Oh, I just love it! You really have come so far, my dear. I’m so proud of you and happy for you. May 2013 be even more positive and transformative for you. xoxox

Blond Duck January 8, 2013, 9:46 PM

You know what Elle says– a good salon day can cure everything! 🙂

keishua January 9, 2013, 9:44 AM

are you getting a puppy?? that’s so exciting. i hear you about not making resolutions. i am not making any either. there are some experiences i would like to have but nothing concrete. life feels a little freer that way. Happy New Year!!!

Karen Peterson January 9, 2013, 3:35 PM

It sounds like your year is off to a great start, lady! I’m glad for you.

Naked Girl in a Dress January 10, 2013, 8:58 AM

You sound peaceful and serene through this piece, which makes me so happy! The year is off to a good start for me. One of the three words I chose for myself in 2013 is balance. That will be the focus and most challenging for me this year.

Gia January 11, 2013, 3:55 AM

love your state of mind. Resolutions can be rather cheesy and I am of the school of thought that any day of the week is a wonderful day to choose to improve yourself. But this year, I found myself reflecting more than most and setting “goals” vs “resolutions”. So happy you’re in a happy space with all the right priorities. May 2013 bring you all inner peace and all the uncontrolled laughter that you seek. XOXO

Mrs. Match January 13, 2013, 12:16 AM

yay, does this mean you’re getting a fur baby? Or a foster furbaby displaced by the storm?

I hope 2013 brings you lots of uncontrollable laughter. There is nothing quite like a belly laugh. 🙂

I didn’t make resolutions, I made goals, much as I do every year. I’m excited to say I’ve already started on them, and gotten some items crossed off already. There’s something so motivating about the start of a brand new year.

Eva Gallant January 14, 2013, 3:26 PM

I’m glad 2013 is starting out well for you; it is for me, too. Hope we all have a great year. I just stopped by from SITS to say hello; hope you find time to do the same.

Blond Duck January 14, 2013, 6:36 PM

Is it a storm of puppies?

Dawnee January 15, 2013, 8:33 PM

Oh my goodness Charlotte, I am so happy to be here reading “you” again. It’s been WAY too long. I’ve been very self absorbed this last year (some with good reason) but I should always make time to stop by and *see* you. I always feel like I’m pulling up a chair and a white chocolate mocha and kicking back with a good friend when I’m here. I’m going to kick back this evening and “catch up” on what has been going on in your life. Big hugs! I’m so proud of you!

Pretzel Thief January 22, 2013, 6:08 PM

Love this and YOU! Heh heh. There’s a sense of calm and serenity in your words, which I love. Wishing you oodles of that, and health, love and joy, in the new year and beyond! Hope that returning to therapy helps you move past some of those pesky roadblocks, but I’m rapt that the fact you haven’t been in a while hasn’t caused meltdowns — yay! Onward and upward! XOXO