It is hard to come up with the right words in the aftermath of unspeakable tragedy. Ever since I first heard the news of the shooting in Newtown, CT, I have had the events of that day on a perpetual loop in my head. It is impossible to make sense of the senseless, or to walk around without guilt, remorse, and a general feeling of complete helplessnes.
How does something like this happen?
Ever since the news broke on Friday, I have seen a lot of outspoken Facebook friends popping up in my feed to contribute their thoughts on issues like gun control and the president’s response to the shooting. I don’t fault them for it; it’s normal to feel a sense of outrage after something like this happens. But the fact of the matter remains: these 26 individuals had their lives cut much too short and their families are experiencing unimaginable loss. Nothing else seems to matter but to honor the memory of these very special lives.
- Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female
Donations can be mailed to Sandy Hook School Support Fund c/o Newtown Savings Bank 39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470. You may also click here to donate online.
There will be a blogger day of silence tomorrow December 18th. If you would like to participate, you may post the following button and that’s it. Please try to not post anything else that day if possible.