Oktoberfest in Jersey–hold the schnitzel

– Posted in: other

It’s hard to believe it’s already Wednesday and that the month of October is just around the corner. I love this time of year. The crisp smells of a perfect autumn day, the colors of a cute fall wardrobe, pumpkin/apple picking, new beginnings, Oktoberfest. Because of my German heritage, it’s hard for me to think of this time of year without remembering a good old fashioned wine or beer festival. Much to the chagrin of my German ancestors, I cannot tolerate beer. And I’m a vegetarian. What I lack in a refined German palate (gross) I like to think I make up for with my killer chicken dance moves. I’m sure most of my friends would agree.

The weather this past Sunday was delicious so Bryan and I decided to make our way to Vernon, NJ, for their annual Oktoberfest, which is (according to their press materials) the “number one Oktoberfest in the Northeast.” It’s easy to see why with such traditional German activities as sumo wrestling and bands that play songs about Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Yea, I dunno either. But Bryan and I had a great time watching the sumo wrestling, taking in the sunshine, drinking from a stein (well, Bryan did. It took me a while to find a riesling), and hearing the music of my childhood.

As Bryan and I observed the festivities, I couldn’t help but remember the wine festivals I attended over the summers in Germany. Everyone sat on long benches, swaying their steins and singing along to the music. My brother and I were too young to drink, so we walked around the grounds and returned bottles for “pfand geld” and then used the money to play games in the arcade.

There’s nothing like thinking back fondly on old memories while creating happy new ones.

How are you all enjoying the fall so far? Are you going to any Oktoberfests this year?

@bluenotebacker September 26, 2012, 10:43 AM

Bryan is TALL!

Owait, an actual comment… I’ve seen ads for and heard of Octoberfest type stuff going on already here in STL, but so far they’ve been falling on days when I have my daughter. Octoberfest says to me DRINKING so those two things don’t usually mix, thankfully, right? Points for not getting hammered while out with my daughter??

Sandra September 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

Glad you enjoyed your Oktoberfest outing! The pictures really speak fall to me! I also haven’t been a big fan of beer, but sometimes I like just a few sips of good ale or pilsner from my Hubs’ glass. I’m so much more a wine gal. Happy Fall!

Krysten September 26, 2012, 11:15 AM

Would you believe I’ve NEVER gone. Obviously I should come hang out with you so you can pop my Oktoberfest cherry lol.

Alexandra September 26, 2012, 1:30 PM

You look so happy it makes me cry.

Always remember how happy he makes you, especially in the middle of fights.

xo

Jayme September 26, 2012, 9:55 PM

It looks like you had so much fun! You both look deliriously happy. 🙂

(FL) Girl with a New Life September 27, 2012, 12:19 PM

I don’t back down from a schnitzel, and I don’t mean that in a naughty way.

Things are so quiet where I live I’ve been craving outdoor festivals and big cities. I think it is time to get my city on.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell September 27, 2012, 7:40 PM

I don’t know of any in the area, but you sure make it sound fun! I will hit a winery for a festival though. Does that count?

Kimberly September 27, 2012, 8:43 PM

My younger son is taking German 1 as an 8th grader. We’ve decided that every Sunday night will be a German feast. We’ve got the schnitzel and the spaetzle…any other suggestions?

Tina @ Life Without Pink September 27, 2012, 8:58 PM

This looks like so much fun! I wonder how close that is for me? Glad you had a blast!

Blond Duck September 27, 2012, 10:26 PM

Oktoberfest is huge down here b/c of all the German immigrants. But all my memories involve akward 8th grade field trips with a teacher in short shorts…

Alison September 28, 2012, 10:58 AM

You’re such a beautiful couple!

I went to an Oktoberfest in London when I lived there in 1998. There was a lot of beer, cheesy 90’s music and dancing on tables involved. Ahem.

Mrs. Match September 28, 2012, 11:07 AM

Ohh I love a good beer fest! It’s been a long time since I went to one. Looks like you two had fun!
I’m very envious of your cool fall days. It’s been in the upper 80s and 90s! My cute fall clothes are sitting in my closet taunting me! Send me some of that cool weather, I can’t wait! Oh and match and I are going to a pumpkin patch sometime in October. 🙂 my favorite fall activity!

Karen Peterson September 28, 2012, 12:18 PM

I’ve never been to Oktoberfest, but it looks like you had a great time!

Every year I think I’m going to finally start up the tradition of going apple picking. And then I don’t go. Sigh.

Single Mom in the South September 29, 2012, 7:31 AM

So, I know exactly where you were, and it’s the best, but I’ve never heard of it??? Just sayin’!

Glad you had fun, though. Our “Oktoberfest” consists of football, football and more football. We spend so much time at the field for The Boy, there isn’t time for much else!

Hilary September 29, 2012, 2:35 PM

That looks like a lot of fun! I’ve never been to any kind of Oktoberfest.

trininista September 30, 2012, 11:41 AM

I have never been to any type of Oktoberfest either but there are a few things happening here so maybe this year!

Classic NYer October 1, 2012, 1:03 PM

I’m pretty sure there’s one in New York as well, but I never know where or when…

Gia October 2, 2012, 8:14 PM

Gosh, you guys are just tooooo adorable! This looks like it was such a fun time – glad you got he chance to go!

p.s. thank you for commenting on my non-published post. You really are the sweetest to think to do that! XO

Glamamom October 6, 2012, 12:58 AM

How fun! The weather was divine. I don’t know what all this bs was this week. GIVE ME MY FALL! You look gorgeous btw.