date #2 with caleb

– Posted in: dating

Despite my best efforts to stay cool and keep calm, I completely freaked after my date Monday night.

And not in a good way.

Again I was a ball of nerves all day. Again the plan was to meet at 7pm. Though the location had changed, the drinks remained the same and I was very much looking forward to reconnecting with Caleb, especially after what I thought was a very awesome first date. But still I didn’t want to get too excited; the second date can be a deal breaker.

I ventured over to the new beer and wine garden on 30th Street (part of the expanded Highline) and waited patiently. I wore my green dress with pink polka dots that day since I had received a few compliments on it recently and it hugged in all the right places.

Caleb was just as adorable as I had remembered. He leaned over to give me a kiss on the cheek and we made our way to claim our drink tickets. He grew impatient and wondered why the other line was moving faster. He seemed preoccupied and told me about some of his work/life stresses. I thought a few beers might help lighten the mood.

And it did… mostly.

He asked me about my July 4th plans. I told him I was going to see Phish at Watkin’s Glen and he did a slight eye roll. I let it slide. Maybe he had something in his eye? Twenty minutes later, he asked me the same question. Is it possible he forgot what I was doing or was his mind elsewhere? Was he hinting that he wanted to make plans to get together with me that weekend?

He filled me in on some family drama and I played therapist. It’s a role I’m used to filling, but I had mixed feelings being that I was just getting to know him. Maybe he’s just nervous, I told myself.

We discussed art and the various museums the city has to offer. He told me he likes to take his time with each painting so he usually goes alone. I casually offered to go with him the next time and he didn’t take the bait.

Maybe he’s married.

He abruptly told me he had to get going to pack for two separate trips. I was disappointed because I was under the impression we’d have dinner and the night was still young. I told him I could walk him partially and take the Path train that was a bit further but he grumbled something about picking up takeout and I took that as my cue to leave. He said he would call me after July 4th.

In two weeks.

He’s just not that into me.

I felt the tears well up as I unlocked the door to my apartment later that evening. I was upset. It wasn’t about Caleb because I don’t know him well enough. I was tired of dating and putting myself out there only to meet one weirdo and shady guy after another.

The next morning, all my coworkers looked at me with excited anticipation. I shook my head, gave a brief overview of the events, and they exchanged sympathetic glances. They even made me a card with a sweet poem of the various losers I had dated to cheer me up (bless their hearts).

As I walked along 6th Ave last night on my way back from a happy hour, a tall, smiling stranger called out to me. It took me a moment, but then I remembered the trainer who seems to catch me every time I leave my Bikram class. FINALLY I looked like a normal human being, my hair was behaving, and I was even wearing a short skirt. Plus I had just kicked back a few cocktails and was feeling a bit flirtatious. I kissed him on the cheek as though I had known him for ages.

“I knew I’d recognize you without your yoga gear,” he smiled.

And then he took my phone number.

Take that, OkCupid.

trininista June 22, 2011, 2:16 PM

I read the part about the Caleb date and how you felt afterwards – that awful wretched feeling – and I wanted to jump through the laptop and hug you. And then yoga dude appears at the end and I wanted to jump through the laptop and high five! You go superstar! F… Caleb. Call you after July 4th? What a joke. You are hot today…not 2 weeks later. high five you…you are awesome!
trininista´s last blog post ..Translating Christmas into Summer

Hutch June 22, 2011, 2:21 PM

Eeeeek! I’m so glad this ended on a positive note! I was worried about you for a bit there. Love when the unexpected happens!

My recent OK Cupid experience? Started talking with this guy, seemed completely normal on email. THEN on the phone he spent the entire time complaining. Trip to Vegas? Horrible. Job? Horrible. Everytime I’d get a glimmer of hope that he was saying something positive, he’d add a “but…” in there. No wonder you’re single buddy!
Hutch´s last blog post ..Anywhere But Here

Curvy Jones- @ms_jones74 June 22, 2011, 3:18 PM

Ugh. I quit talking about my dates after 17 too many embarassed next day at work stories. I figured I would lt people know I had met someone when we got engaged. *rolleyes* LOL. Sorry about Caleb. One wonders why he even asked for a second date? I tell DesperateSarah all the time that some men don’t need to waste money on expensive dating sites. I can tell you what’s wrong with you for free.

But YAY for Yoga Dude. Good vibes!

Krysten June 22, 2011, 4:34 PM

Ugh really? And I had such high hopes for Caleb! Lame. What will you do if he calls after the 4th? Bleh/

But maybe yay for Yoga Dude? Keeping my fingers crossed….

Bonda84 June 22, 2011, 5:51 PM

Yay!!! Isn’t it wonderful when something like that happens. It all happens for a reason :) Now I’m excited to see how the trainer pans out :D
Bonda84´s last blog post ..Long Weekend

Brian June 22, 2011, 7:33 PM

Sorry to hear about the debacle that was the second date Chars. Second dates are usually the do or die ones. I usually anticipate second dates, but they usually end with nothing else trailing. Sad but true.

Hopefully this trainer of yours might be a promising avenue ;)

StephanieinSuburbia June 22, 2011, 9:29 PM

Ugh, I was nodding my head the whole time I read this. I went on a date with a guy I was really attracted to and we had a great first date. Second date, he wore a sweatshirt to a nice restaurant and barely paid attention to me. He said he’d call. And of course he never did. I cried for weeks, and I had only met the guy twice. Like you, I realized I was crying over the hurt of CONSTANTLY putting myself out there and getting rejected. It’s so rough out there! I’m sorry you had such a crap experience. HIs loss!
StephanieinSuburbia´s last blog post ..Post-Posting Thoughts and Im Blogworthy!

Marianne June 22, 2011, 9:34 PM

Aw I was hoping it was going to be good news! Oh well. And get him outta here if he doesn’t like Phish!! I’m tired of this game too. This summer I’m just going to be single and free and try for anything serious. Thats my plan, we’ll see what happens! See you around!!

Marianne June 22, 2011, 9:35 PM

whoops thats NOT try for anything serious!

Jean Has Been Shopping June 22, 2011, 9:43 PM

Caleb blows. The trainer catching you without yoga garb and looking oh so hot is great! Have a great 4th if I don’t talk to you before then!
Jean Has Been Shopping´s last blog post ..House Hunters International

Galit Breen June 22, 2011, 9:43 PM

Yippee for the new boy, short skirts and Caleb can kiss my ass! Love you! XO
Galit Breen´s last blog post ..The Red Dress Club- Affection

D June 22, 2011, 9:57 PM

Awesome end to the story!! I hate it when my mother says ‘when one door closes…another opens.’ but it’s true! what’s the beer garden on 30th??
D´s last blog post ..Poem- BBQ Fest

kimbirdy June 22, 2011, 10:37 PM

woohoo! ok, i’m not going to get all swept up in the romance of it all, because who knows what will happen right? but feeling down and discouraged only to have someone call out your name on the street and get your number? romantic!! even if this guy just turns out to be another weirdo or a great guy friend, i love that you had this experience when you did. thanks universe. :) also, your co-workers sound so sweet. good to have people like that around.

Emily June 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

Ok I’m annoyed by his slight eye-roll, among other things.

But I’m excited to see what comes of this trainer :)

Sarah Blackwood June 23, 2011, 2:44 AM

Chars, can I just start out by saying I love how you write?? I was absolutely with you as I read that blog and your thought process (i.e. wondering if he was shy, married, etc.) made me laugh and just want to give you a giant hug. Well, I tell you what…this was his loss, completely! And, I’m so glad there was a positive end to all of this!!! You are one hottie patottie and the right guy IS out there! They show up at the strangest, most inopportune times (trust me, I know!) :-)) I miss and love you so much and thanks for another great read!! XOXOXO

van025 June 23, 2011, 3:25 AM

I’m excited to see how the trainer pans out,too.Sorry to hear about the debacle that was the second date Chars.
van025´s last blog post ..Getting Fast Loans- What You Need To Know

Gia June 23, 2011, 6:03 AM

What a perfect example of when one door closes another opens! I’m HIGHLY irritated at Caleb though. I’m wondering what gives? It seems like such a stark contrast from date number 1, ugh.. and people say women are moody. I always find myself playing the role of therapist too so I TOTES understand where you are coming from with that.

But you are strong and awesome and hilarious and gorgeous and obviously the trainer has taken notice of that! I look forward to seeing where that goes for you! :)

But don’t worry, I am about to chomp on a twix bar in your honor. Screw Caleb. harsh?

Nicole June 23, 2011, 6:20 AM

I love when the Universe takes over!!!!

Sheena Jeffers June 23, 2011, 12:21 PM

Cute post! :) Loved it!
Sheena Jeffers´s last blog post ..By- Quarter Life Crisis Blog – Life2PointOh

Nicole June 23, 2011, 1:50 PM

awww, sweetie, i’m so sorry it didn’t work out with caleb. i’m with the other girls – he doesn’t have any clue what he’s missing. he’s obviously not good enough for you. loser!

awesome about the trainer though – hope something works out with him!!

love and miss you!!!

Jayme (Random Blogette) June 23, 2011, 3:05 PM

It is so Caleb’s loss! Obviously it wasn’t meant to be. Also the universe had other plans for you sweetie.

I do have to say that I love that your co-workers made you a card with a poem, about all of the guys that were not worthy of you!

Love ya sweetie! Keep your chin up!
Jayme (Random Blogette)´s last blog post ..Liar- Liar Diarrhea On Fire!

Spinsterlicious June 23, 2011, 10:34 PM

When one Caleb closes, another one opens! (Sorry). How about this one: eff Caleb.

-eleanore – The Spinsterlicious Life
Spinsterlicious´s last blog post ..Spinster-minus-licious

Pretzel Thief June 24, 2011, 1:00 AM

YEEEHAAAAW! Go Yoga Dude, woo hoooo!

Hope he ends up being as awesome as he presently seems …you go, Char!
Pretzel Thief´s last blog post ..California king WHA

JamieAnne June 25, 2011, 12:05 AM

Eek! Dating, I don’t miss it. I’m sorry your date did not go as planned, but the end was promising. This is my first visit to your little space on the interweb. From the bit I have read, you’re brave…you’re a beautiful person (inside and out) and it’s totally Caleb’s loss. Totally.

Rachel Cotterill June 25, 2011, 7:17 PM

Oh no – and it was all sounding so promising after that first date :( Maybe yoga guy will be better…
Rachel Cotterill´s last blog post ..Last Tango In Portland

(FL) Girl with a New Life June 27, 2011, 11:52 AM

Wait. You ran into that trainer again? Fabulous.

Thank you for the sweet card you sent me along with the giveaway. It was so touching. I will return the favor as soon as I can. And I am *flattered* that you think of me as a big bloggie sister.
(FL) Girl with a New Life´s last blog post ..My Moving Diary: 5 Weeks & Counting

liz June 27, 2011, 1:31 PM

YAY for running into the trainer AND for looking cute!
liz´s last blog post ..The Marriage between Privacy and the Internet

Shell June 27, 2011, 5:07 PM

Well, this yoga guy sounds promising!

Karen Peterson June 27, 2011, 6:27 PM

This Caleb guy sounds like an idiot. He just saved you a bunch of time!

And the trainer? Awesome!
Karen Peterson´s last blog post ..Project 52: Week 26–The Halfway Point!

Tina @ Life Without Pink June 27, 2011, 9:43 PM

So sorry about your date….but look what happened in the end! I love reading your stories…I feel like I am watching a movie! lol

Sorta Southern Single Mom June 27, 2011, 10:04 PM

Boo! for Caleb. It’s hard not to get your hopes up when you feel a connection, even when you try really hard not to. Yay! Though for cute trainers!
Sorta Southern Single Mom´s last blog post ..Body Image, Tank Tops, and My Mother

carma July 2, 2011, 6:32 PM

well, his behavior was kind of odd – gotta wonder if he is hiding something as you suspect might be the case. I hope not…
carma´s last blog post ..I Shimmied and then Danced Like a Gypsy

Glamamom July 4, 2011, 11:57 PM

Sorry love but I’m glad you can see that for what it is and move on. I know it’s hard but we’ve all been there. Back on the horse! xo
Glamamom´s last blog post ..CAPE MAY GETAWAY