MojoMapp: a new app for singles

– Posted in: dating

Remember the days when we would go out with our single girlfriends and we’d sit at the bar and wouldn’t pay a dime for drinks all night and the cute boys would come along and chat us up and whisper sweet nothings in our ears?

Yea, I don’t remember those days either. But I’m sure they happened at some point during those hazy college years.

In any event, as anyone trying to navigate the dating scene in New York (or any other big city) can tell you: sometimes it’s hard to know where the singles are hanging out. How many times have you put on your finest hoochie wear, grabbed your girlfriends, and hit up the newest hip spot, only to discover that A) you totally left the tag on your hoochie shirt, B) there are no single men in sight, C) the cute guy you are flirting with at the bar is already taken, or D) you accidentally walked into a gay bar and now you are flirting with a really adorable chick named Lucy? What? These things have only happened to me?!

Well, my dear readers, there is a new app for us singles that may help clear things up a bit.

I was recently contacted by Nancy, one of the cofounders of MojoMapp. Her enthusiasm is extremely contagious, and I gotta’ say… I get it. Why? Because this is an app I would absolutely use. It’s FREE (at least for now!), it’s anonymous (this is the biggest selling point for me), and it gives you an idea of approximately how many singles are hanging out in a given bar in your area at any given time as well as gender and sexual orientation (developers are trying to add the age ranges of singles). When you step foot in a bar, club, or lounge, it will update your check-in info for up to two hours (again providing only your gender and sexual preference). If the scene is lame, you can move your party elsewhere (and MojoMapp will update your check-in when you hit up the next spot). Perfect anytime you want to organize an impromptu ladies night.

As I explained to Nancy, I have a hard time with things like Foursquare because I don’t want to give anyone specific information about where I am checking in. It’s a scary world out there and I think we have to keep our wits about us.

She couldn’t agree more.

MojoMapp will also feature a virtual wall that users can write messages on. If you want to call attention to yourself, perhaps you can announce that you are standing by the bar in a blue sweatshirt and are willing to buy a drink to the first curly-haired brunette who catches your attention. Okay, wishful thinking.

As of this writing, MojoMapp is in the final approval stages by iTunes and should soon be available on your iPhone or Droid. I have also put in a special request for the Palm Pre for all three of us who have this phone. Click here to find out more information about MojoMapp.

This post was not sponsored by MojoMapp and all opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

Jodene February 28, 2011, 1:15 PM

This sounds very cool! I have a blackberry so I just have to check if it works there too! 😉

Emily February 28, 2011, 1:53 PM

This sounds really cool. Sooo many times I’ve been all excited to go out with my friends, only to realize that there are no single guys at the bar. Lame. Oh and no, you are not the only one those things happen to!

liz February 28, 2011, 2:06 PM

SUCH a cool idea! Nancy is a smart lady! I’ve also had those same concerns about 4Square!

Bonda84 February 28, 2011, 2:39 PM

Sounds like a handy little app!

(Florida) Girl with a New Life February 28, 2011, 3:45 PM

Pretty cool. Who knew the singles scene could become so efficient.

PS The part about accidentally walking into a gay bar was HYSTERICAL.

kimbirdy February 28, 2011, 6:15 PM

this is awesome!! i love that it’s anonymous too. you’re so right, the world is full of creeps, which makes dating all the more difficult. it’s great that someone has found a way to use technology to make the dating game a little easier and safer.

Galit Breen March 1, 2011, 12:20 AM

How completely fabulous are you!? i love that you’re pioneering this. I don’t remember the sweet 10 cent drinks, but I do remember not having a clue where to go to meet someone! So this right here? Is pure genius!

BTW, GF- I need to DM you!! You and me have so much to discuss!! Lots of Xs and lots of Os!

Krysten March 1, 2011, 9:37 AM

Wow what a very cool app!

(Florida) Girl with a New Life March 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

Stopping by to wish you a happy Tuesday. PS I am on pins and needles for your next pages.

trininista March 1, 2011, 4:05 PM

MojoMapp. My God. There really is an app for everything! When you use it, please let me know how it went.

harry March 2, 2011, 2:17 AM

Very cool! I can’t wait to use this on my new ipad2!

Tina @ Life Without Pink March 2, 2011, 7:45 AM

Wow there really is an app for everything! Now that is pretty cool!

Shell March 2, 2011, 3:01 PM

That sounds like a cool app! Foursquare totally freaks me out.

Allyson March 2, 2011, 3:35 PM

This is FREAKING genius!!! It would actually be nice to have a “hot spot” app for a girls’ night out, too. Because…what’s the point of being there if that isn’t where the action is?? I can’t wait to hear how it works. You promise a blog post about it, right?? 😉

SaucyB March 2, 2011, 7:30 PM

now THAT is very cool. i know what you mean about Foursquare, and for that matter the whole Facebook places thing too – i don’t like revealing that much about my exact location.

Glamamom March 2, 2011, 10:54 PM

I love it. What a great name! I’m curious. Uh-oh!

keishua March 3, 2011, 7:42 PM

Mojo does not sound half bad. My city is not super big but I still find it hard to know where things are happening. Not that I get out that much but if I did this would be extremely helpful. Sounds cool and who doesn’t love a free app.